AX55 IoT Network Isolation Vs. AX55 Guest Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-08 01:51:01 - last edited 2023-08-08 04:43:47
Tags: #EasyMesh #IoTNetwork
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20230603 rel.46473(5553)

I can't find much information regarding the IoT network feature found within TP-Link's web interface.

I have 2 AX55's + 1 RE230 Wifi Extender in an EasyMesh Network and am using the IoT network for my printer, Blink Cameras, and Tvs. 

I have a few questions about the IoT network built-in feature in the TP-Link AX55 router.

1. I want to know how well the IoT network is isolated from the main network since it seems I'm still able to have devices on the main network communicate with devices on the IoT network.  I know that the main network can talk to the IoT network but can it work backwards (IoT talk to Main Network)?

2. Is the IoT network feature better than the guest feature or vice versa?  Is there any differences that provide more benefits using the other?

3. Is it better to just purchase a device such as the TP-Link Omada or another device to handle the IoT Network separately using vlan ids?

Options
1 Reply
Re:AX55 IoT Network Isolation Vs. AX55 Guest Network
2023-08-10 21:07:14

@poH_ 

From what I understand, the IoT network is not isolated from the main network and devices from both networks can communicate with each other. The IoT network is simply another SSID for wireless connections.  Devices can be isolated by placing them on the isolated devices list (under Advanced, Security, IOT_SECURITY).  Listed devices can communicate with each other but not with un-isolated devices.  For example, if you isolate all your IoT devices that connect to the router using the IoT network, then those devices will not be able to communicate with devices on the main network (and vice versa).

Note that if one of your routers is in the access point mode, then device isolation is not available for those devices that connect to the access point.  This is true even if the devices are listed on the isolated devices list of the main router.

One last note:  The IoT network is not part of any EasyMesh network that you may have configured.  Its SSID is not propagated like the main network's SSID through any range extenders or satellite routers.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1215

Replies: 1

Tags

EasyMesh
IoTNetwork
Related Articles