Receiving alerts for random devices connecting to my network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-20 02:27:30
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.5 Build 20230110 Rel. 41561

I keep getting alerts of "network device", "Pixel-7", and my friend's phones and watches connecting to my network.  

My network is password protected with a complicated password that I have not given out to friends as I have a guest network setup.

I have tried blocking the devices, but they just show up again.  All my other devices I've created a custom name for as I added them one by one to the network using my password.

It appears that it is showing me devices that are trying to connect to my network, but alerting me as if they are actually connected.

How do I fix this?

TP Link told me to reset my password, which I did and that did not fix the issue.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Receiving alerts for random devices connecting to my network
2023-02-21 03:43:31

@ZRanch 

Hi, welcome to the community.

If the device is just trying to connect but actually does not get connected successfully, there would not be any connection alerts.

I found that on the notification page, it did not say whether this "network device" was connected to the main network or the guest network. So I think they might actually get connected to the guest network.

After blocking these devices under "Block list", you mentioned the device showed up again. Were they the previous devices with the same MAC addresses?

If the MAC addresses are different, these mobile devices might enable the private address to steer by the blocking.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-21 07:15:44

@David-TP 

Thank you for your reply. 

My app shows a separate list for my main network vs my guest network and these random devices are showing connected to my main network. 

Two of them belong to a friend of mine and I've never given her my password and she isn't connecting to my network according to her phone, yet her devices show up in my list. 

How would any device connect without entering my password?  It's complicated and different from my guest network password. 

I do have an AP outside from a different company, and a Verizon WiFi extender in the house, but it doesn't make sense that a device connecting to those would show up under my Deco app. 

Sigrid

Options
2023-02-22 03:46:01 - last edited 2023-02-22 03:51:01

@ZRanch 

Hi, 

How would any device connect without entering my password?  

No, they have to use the correct password unless you have something connected via WPS which also needs your permission on the Deco APP first.

As for the Verizon WiFi extender, if it is used to extend the wireless network of Deco and since Deco is the main DHCP server, the clients that connected to a version extender still get IP addresses from Deco so normally they would show up on the Deco APP client list.

So if these random devices are not connected to the Verizon WiFi extender either, it still showed on the Deco client list either even though they are actually not after checking on their settings, please refer to this link to help me submit the APP log:

How to submit Deco APP log

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2023-02-23 02:53:22

d4f3c95b1169468499d592fa048a6f54bdd2763afa494641a02a0c86a5566772 4987935cd48948f5b8bd4ff0df88d97912e2806e8afe4eb499ef90ca2298b152afeffaa6d28b48d8aac15edefb0fca89 
@David-TP

Thank you. I emailed the logs. 

My question regarding how a device could join my network without the password was more theoretical because I am aware it should not be possible. :-)

These devices are showing up on my list and could not possibly know my password. 

Here are some screenshots from the app. 

Sigrid

Options