Long distance extension deco m9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-25 19:31:40
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have a mesh network with 4 nodes that has been working great for two years with little issue.  One node is hard wired to the modem and three nodes are spread out throughout the property without backhauling.

I have a long driveway and I would like to add a node near my entry gate to get wifi for cameras and a smart gate opener.  The gate is ~300ft from the closest node and no direct line of site either as it is uphill.  

Question 1: can I hardwire periphery nodes together via ethernet cable to do this?  Neither node is the main one connected to the router.  I undestand distance is a concern with ethernet cables in general, which leads me to my next question...

Question 2:  If the answer is yes to using an ethernet cable to connect two nodes, would it be possible to use MoCA adapters on either end to run coaxial cable to overcome the distance issue between nodes?

Thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Long distance extension deco m9
2022-10-26 07:24:12

@martinezmatt83 Hi, welcome to the community.

Do you wish to use the long Ethernet cable to create the Ethernet backhaul between the new driveway Deco to the closest node?

Basically, The Ethernet cable will work. When it comes to MOCA adapters, It could not be guaranteed the Ethernet backhaul will work as it should. 

Considering the 300ft distance, WiFi cameras, and smart gate opener both 2.4ghz-only smart devices,  and when you are able to extend the internet service to the driveway via MOCA adapters, Deco might not be the only choice, and a standard access point would also be a good choice, such as TL-WA901N/TL-WA1201.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-10-26 17:20:04

@David-TP Great, thank you for the help!

Options
2022-11-03 17:43:45

@David-TP  I am considering a wireless solution instead using two CPE710 antennas.  The plan is one antenna plugged into the main deco m9 node(router) and then add another node plugged into the antenna on the other end near the gate(~450ft away).  Would this setup work and essentially just be an extension of my existing mesh network?

And if so, can this be done between any two nodes in the mesh network?

Options
2022-11-04 07:53:06 - last edited 2022-11-04 07:55:41

@martinezmatt83 

Hi, A pair of CPE710s will work as an extension to the existing mesh network.

When it is installed between Decos, M9----CPE710~~~~~CPE710-M9 plus, we have tested this kind of setup before and it did work. But sorry I have to add it again. The test distance is not far as 450ft. The sure thing is you will have an internet source coming behind the second CPE710 so it is good enough for a standard router or access point. But for the satellite M9 Plus, it needs to establish an Ethernet backhaul with the main M9 plus to be connected to the Mesh, and the 450ft CPE bridge could not guarantee a stable Ethernet Backhaul.

So if the satellite M9 did fail to create an Ethernet backhaul between the main M9, there is a workaround for your reference:

(the picture is borrowed from another user and his case is very like to yours-Combining EAP610 outdoor with TP-Link Deco X55 Wi-Fi 6)

Set up another mesh network on the newly added M9 plus so this time, It will work as a main Deco this time in another network:https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2295/

4e9ebc74b65d4cc1b06a7f7f9d150c6d

Options
2022-12-06 23:04:36

@David-TP 

David,

Thanks for the help so far, however I am having an issue with the new Deco M9 node on the client side unable to connect to the internet.  

The hardware seems to be functioning perfectly.  I have been able to access the internet on the client side(450ft away) when plugged directly into the client CPE710.  I have done this with the Access Point CPE710 plugged into either the modem or main deco M9 node.  Either way it is wired I can successfully get on the internet with excellent speed on the client side via ethernet on my laptop.  This is great, but I am trying to create a wifi signal on the client side and this is where I'm falling short.

Now the problem is that I can not get the new deco M9 on the client side to successfully have internet access.  I have literally been on the internet with my laptop hardwired into the client CPE710, simply unplugged it and tried to connect the Deco M9.  The Deco will connect to my phone, it will create a network but it will not get internet.  I have tried rebooting everything multiple times, changed ethernet cables, etc.. and still have the same issue.  Here are the methods I have tried:

1)  AP CPE710 plugged into the main Deco M9 node at the house to be an extension of my existing mesh network: 

I established an ethernet backhaul by plugging the new Deco M9 node directly into the main Deco M9 node and confirming with my app that it was in fact connected with ethernet.  I then power down the new node, unplug from the main node, plug the AP CPE710 into the main node, and then go on up to the client side and plug in the new deco M9.  It will not get an internet connection.

2) same as above except rather than adding a node to my exisiting mesh network, I instead create a new network with the new node:  

I delete the node from my exisiting mesh network, reset the node to setup mode, and then attempt to setup a new network while plugged into the client CPE710.  This is all done after verifying with my laptop that I can access the internet when plugged into the client CPE710.

3) Plug AP CPE710 straight into ethernet port on modem and attempt to create a new network with the new Deco plugged into the client CPE710.

4) same as #3 above but i actually setup the new wireless network directly plugged into the modem first without the CPE710s.  Once the new wifi network is established I verify I can access internet when I am on it.  I power down new node, plug in AP CPE710 into the same spot on the modem, and then plug the newly configured deco M9 into the client CPE710.  still no internet.

I think that my problem is likely a configuration step in the PharOS setup that I am missing, but I am hoping for some guidance or suggestions from the community.

Thanks!45bc5f442f284d3dbbbb83518d6ddf1a

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 768

Replies: 5

Related Articles