AX50 Wifi Poor Performance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-07 04:25:38
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20210730

I'm having a problem with my AX50 that's just started happening in the last week or so.

My iPhone 13 Pro (IOS 15.6.1) is the only device this is happening on but to be fair, it's the only wifi 6 device we have in the house.

In simple terms, the phone seems to bounce between 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks so much that the wifi connection becomes unstable and unusable.  In IOS, it says that the Internet is unavailable at times.

I'll be doing a speed test and my latency will blow out to 300ms and I'll be getting sub-2Mbps speeds.

I have tried it with other devices like my wife's iPhone 11 Pro Max and she gets full signal and great performance while standing next to me.

I seem to have managed to get around this by turning on Guest 5G, forgetting the regular wifi network, and connecting to the guest network.  The 5G connection stays stable, has decent signal coverage, and performs as expected.

I've also tried resetting my network settings on my iPhone but no change in behaviour.

The firmware for this router in Australia has not been updated in over a year, surely there are security patches and stability fixes that could be made and considering that when we bought this, the mesh upgrade was promised and then pulled, the least TP Link can do is keep this device somewhat current with fixes and security patches.

Options
1 Reply
Re:AX50 Wifi Poor Performance
2022-09-08 17:27:51

@SeanCasGamer,

The feature that is causing this is probably the fast roaming option in your router settings. iPhones are already infamous for bouncing between networks when using this feature. 

Essentially, fast roaming makes it so your devices can more quickly switch between the network bands. if this is not behaving correctly, it could very easily result In the behavior that you are describing. If this setting does not fix the issue, there are a few other settings that could potentially be causing this, such as the Security settings.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 389

Replies: 1

Related Articles