Basic Deco Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Basic Deco Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Basic Deco Questions
Basic Deco Questions
2022-02-25 02:52:58
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I don't have the Deco system yet but I am planing to get one. Just doing some pre-purchase research here. Would appreciate some guidance.

(1) I read tat some mesh systems aren't true mesh systems, and by that, it means that the connection speed would get cut in half with every node; whereas.with a true mesh system, this won't happen. So my questions are (a) Is this correct? and (b) if this is correct, is a Deco systems a true mesh system?

(2) During the setup, it asks to choose the "internet connection type" (Dynamic IP, PPPoE, etc.). I have Verizon FIOS internet, which option should I pick?

(3) I am thinking to buy the S4. There are 2 versions, v1 and v2. How do the 2 versions differ?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Basic Deco Questions
2022-02-25 16:49:20

@Rappaport_Art 

Rappaport_Art wrote

I don't have the Deco system yet but I am planing to get one. Just doing some pre-purchase research here. Would appreciate some guidance.

(1) I read tat some mesh systems aren't true mesh systems, and by that, it means that the connection speed would get cut in half with every node; whereas.with a true mesh system, this won't happen. So my questions are (a) Is this correct? and (b) if this is correct, is a Deco systems a true mesh system?

(2) During the setup, it asks to choose the "internet connection type" (Dynamic IP, PPPoE, etc.). I have Verizon FIOS internet, which option should I pick?

(3) I am thinking to buy the S4. There are 2 versions, v1 and v2. How do the 2 versions differ?

The questions that you posed are valid questions, but IMHO they should not be your deciding questions:

Answers;

1. Where ever you read that "true mesh" definition, they were just flat out wrong.

The Wi-Fi device connection speed at a node is determined more by the device's Wi-Fi hardware, the speeds available from the Mesh model that you have choose.

Example Wi-Fi5, Wi-Fi6, Wi-Fi6E ... AC1200, AC1300, AC2200, AX1800, AX3000, AX3600, AX5700, AX6600.

Each of these standards will have different speed connections, Wi-Fi channels, and each will have different "Backhaul" connection options between the Deco sattelite nodes.Some will use a dedicated Wi-Fi channel for backhaul, others will uest the same Wi-Fi channel as your devices for the backhaul, and others will allow Ethernet cable connectivity for backhaul. 

2. If you are going to disable the FIOS Modem/Router Wi-Fi (recommended) and use the Deco Mesh for your Wi-Fi, then the Dynamic IP option is the correct choice.  Other options for connection have many challenges. 

3. The Deco S4 is the lease powerful and least feature rich option in the Deco universe. This may be a perfect choice for a home with one or two mature adults and minimal need for fast In-Home inter device connectivity for transfering data.  Or you may find the speeds and options limiting.

Questions which are more cogent to making an intelligent decision choice.

• The number of Wi-Fi/Ethernet connected devices in the home. What are those devices doing? How will they expect to connect to Wi-Fi &  using which Wi-Fi protocols? Where are they located in the home? 
  • If there are less than a handful of network connected devices, is connecting to the internet for lite duty access like eMail and browsing, all that is happening?
  • Is there Internet Video streaming happening, like Netflix, Hulu, Discovery+, Paramount, etc happening?  If so how many simultaneous users are streaming from different platforms?  
  • Is there any remote office work being performed? 
  • Are there any gamers in the home who will need to access On-Line Multi Online Player Games? 
  • Is there an In-Home server like Synology or WD which is used for local file storage and retrieval or computer system backups?  Are you streaming ripped movies In-Home? 

These are the basic questions that you need to answer prior to deciding on a Deco Mesh.  Making a choice without understanding what your needs are today and next year, will cause you to not have a pleasant experience. There will be much frustration. 

Lastly, as for your ISP Internet speed ... The necessary speed supplied to you may well be the limiting factor based on the number of networked devices in your home and their function. 

I have seen people with dozens of IOT devices like cameras, Echo, Google Home, Smart thermostats, doorbells, etc; they find to their dismay, that each of those devices will consume a piece of the available Internet bandwidth, and in the end, their ISP supplied 50MBps Internet after all the IOT connectivity has come into play, they have less than half of that speed available for Streaming and or remote work connectivity. 

Yes the In-Home Wi-Fi connectivity speed is critical if you have a robust In-Home connected data network, but when it comes down to only accessing the Internet, any In-Home Wi-Fi speed that exceeds the available ISP supplied Internet speed will be unnecessary.  So Unless your supplied ISP Internet speed is 500MBps or higher, the Deco Mesh Node Wi-Fi speed connectivity to your devices is not really of consequence. 

So ...  Best of hunting. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 403

Replies: 1

Related Articles