Router looses DNS Addresses when power blinks on/off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-10-13 15:15:58
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

It seems that when the power blinks or we loose power for a short time, I am unable to get back on the internet thru my router. I have to hard wire in and reach out to support for help. It seems that the DNS address both primary & secondary get wiped out and support has to walk me thru resetting the addresses.

This has happened 2 times and I am wondering if there is a way that I can prevent this from happening? 

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Jo-Ann

Options
2 Reply
Re:Router looses DNS Addresses when power blinks on/off
2021-10-14 02:51:09

@Jo-Ann 

Who is the ISP? From what you are describing, I presume the ISP modem internet connection may not be stable, have you tested that by wiring a computer directly to the modem? Is the internet connection stable? Please find out what is the DNS address assigned by the modem, you can check that as follows:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

If the modem internet is pretty stable while the Archer A7 still loses connection, please try to manually set the DNS server address on the A7 to be the same as that on the computer:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1556/

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Router looses DNS Addresses when power blinks on/off
2021-10-14 12:13:33
Hi Kevin, I called my ISP provider 1st and we went thru all the steps on their end for making sure it was not the internet on their end. They could see all my equipment and it was running. They had me hardwire from my laptop to the modem and this is how they found it was the router. I did contact support and this is what they made me do: Please click the advance settings Below renew and release button > then click use the following DNS address. change primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4 It is working now, but I want to know how to prevent this from happening again. I am a remote worker and my equipment went down due to this IP issue with the router. Is there a way to prevent this?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 467

Replies: 2

Related Articles