Archer AX20 vs. AX50 security

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-02 02:15:19

Hey guys, please advise: which of thw two is better in terms of security?

I see there's no WPA3 for the AX50, but the AX20 has it?

Is Homecare TM any good? And is it really free?

OFF: What would happen with my smart devices (older than WPA3) - I don't think they could join a WPA3 network?

Thanks!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer AX20 vs. AX50 security
2020-12-02 20:09:49

@betauser 

Based network security WPA3 is best.  However you also have to consider client device compatiblity, firewalls and other security features like HomeCare.  

The AX20 does not have HomeCare but does have WPA3, likewise the AX50 does not have WPA3 but has HomeCare. HomeCare is a great service at at this time is and will remain a free service.  It does offer intrusion prevention and comprimised device isolation so while it does not have WPA3 those features can and are useful to many.  Also make sure your clients are compatible with WPA3. 

Its not really a question of which is better but what security you are most comfortable with. 

Options
2020-12-02 21:21:56

@Carl  Thanks for replying,

Is Homecare accessible via Tether? Is it user friendly in terms of frequent option changes, monitoring, etc.?

It's true that home smart devices are not WPA3 certified, and I doubt they can be upgraded.

OFF: do I need to pay in order to use VPN on my TP Link router?

Options
2020-12-02 21:25:17

@Carl and one more: Is there a real chance for devices, which are not WPA3 certified at the moment of the purchase, to get a firmware update with the WPA3, when it's already largely adopted?

Options
2020-12-02 21:40:20

@betauser 

If the hardware is compatible and it can be released relativiley bug free, yes we should see wider adoption in current or future hardware revisions.  Especially as the standard becomes more widely adopted. 

Options
2020-12-02 21:43:09

@betauser 

Yes at this time HomeCare is accesse exculsvily through the Tether app.  It is very easy to navigate and we have plenty of FAQs and even some videos to help navigate it.  Kasa devices at this time per my knowledge are not yet WPA3 compatible.  TP-Link routers can all pass VPN throughput traffic based on IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP.  Some routers have a VPN server feature which lets you setup, free of charge a OpenVPN or PPTP VPN server through your router. 

Options
2020-12-15 12:09:07

@Carl "Yes at this time HomeCare is accesse exculsvily through the Tether app."

No Carl, you are wrong, it can also be controlled from the web interface for months.
Carl, we need WPA3 for the AX50 or it will be out of date in no time.

Carl wrote

@betauser 

Yes at this time HomeCare is accesse exculsvily through the Tether app.  It is very easy to navigate and we have plenty of FAQs and even some videos to help navigate it.  Kasa devices at this time per my knowledge are not yet WPA3 compatible.  TP-Link routers can all pass VPN throughput traffic based on IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP.  Some routers have a VPN server feature which lets you setup, free of charge a OpenVPN or PPTP VPN server through your router. 

Options
2020-12-15 18:46:35

@Tavocampana 

Not in the United States who this community is designed for.  For global customers outside of the US the community is located here:  Regionally your firmware may be different so it possible that web based UI access to HomeCare is available for Argentina and other Regions.  In the US when the feature frist lauched it was here as well but about a year ago it was migrated into the Tether App and I have not recieved any notification, including the Frimware release notes or communication from my QA and Testing team that has said otherwise.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1561

Replies: 7

Related Articles