New Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

New Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
New Router
New Router
2020-10-20 17:21:37

I am trying to figure out how to get this connected to Alexa to enable shutting off the kids devices.  i cannot get it to connect or list devices, etc.  Any set up advice?

TIA

Options
7 Reply
Re:New Router
2020-10-22 16:30:49

@kelg 

What is the model of the TP-Link device?

What has been tried so far?

Options
2020-10-24 00:21:53

@Tony 

Model is TpLink Archer A7 AC1750

I've got the app for Tether downloaded.  The internet, router and modem are connected.  It is hooked up to our computers, tvs, kindles, alex dots, etc.  

I am struggling with a couple of things: figuring out what devices go to what?  I cannot identify which Fire Sticks go to which tv's, which dots are which, etc.  i can only identify one tablet, and both computers so far.  Most importantly, this was bought to monitor children's devices for screen time and I cannot get this to do so.  Perhaps once i know which devices it'll be easier.  Right now, it is not working on a few levels.  Timing, determing devices, alexa won't work with the plugs anymore.....

Options
2020-10-24 11:04:48
To identify the devices, you need to cross reference the MAC numbers. Many devices have it printed on a label on the device. For some, you will need to sign on to the device and look for an 'about" page as most times that is where it is listed. When you can not find the MAC, you will need to review the device list as you add/remove the device. Most device's manufacturer can be identified by the prefix of the MAC. You can go online as there are many 'MAC prefix' tools. Some wireless devices require that in order for multiple WIFI devices to talk to each other, they need to be on the same network (2.4 or 5 Ghz).
Options
2020-10-24 14:40:50

@ArcherC8 

I've been trying t his.  Some have the same IDs and some aren't listed under the mac id.  It is very strange.  They aren't listed that way, they are under I.P. addresses and things like amazon0e33c131.....and then multiple things like that and the numbers don't match any of my devices.  There are 11-13 clients and I've been going round and round trying to figure out which are which and unplugging but so far no luck.  It's not aligning.  I'm also not sure how to connect to Alexa's voice.  I'm going to my tv and blocking each one.  

Options
2020-10-24 15:41:49
One way is to change the SSIDs and then add one device at a time to get the MAC or its identifier. Some extenders will change the MAC. If you sign on to the router, you should be able to see the MAC address.
Options
2020-10-26 18:40:46

@kelg 

Going off of what @ArcherC8 mentioned. Log into the Archer A7, and go to Advanced > Network > DHCP Server. There you will see the IP address assigned to the respect MAC address that you can use to reference and identify what is what.

Options
2020-10-26 22:31:41

@kelg 

The easiest way to do this is ONE DEVICE connected at a time. Then look at the DHCP Server allocation screen or your Client List (not sure what is on your router?) and you'll see that single device. You can use Tether as well. One each of these you can EDIT the name to be what you want.

Some devices, like a FireTV stick you will need to pull the power as they will always be on if powered. Of course, most devices that have a 'display' you can see them under the Network Settings. Once you know the MAC Address, just change the 'name' to something that better identifies the MAC Address.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 640

Replies: 7

Related Articles