Archer A7 wired speed 200mbps, wireless 20mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer A7 wired speed 200mbps, wireless 20mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
12 Reply
Re:Archer A7 wired speed 200mbps, wireless 20mbps
2020-08-26 19:16:33

@Lbheath 

To be honest with you, I don't think QoS really is needed in most cases today. Yes, there could be isolated cases where is it needed, but if you have speeds that are available today from an ISP, QoS is outdated. Originally it was to ensure the device(s) that needed full capacity required to operate or be used got it. Quality Of Service allowed that. You could set your 'on-line game' to not 'lag' by assuring with QoS that it had all the bandwidth it required.

However, with 100Mbps ISP service that need to use QoS might have gone away? Want to watch NetFlix, 10Mbps is enough. 10 TV's would hardly have a problem doing so at the same time.

I'm simplying this of course, but here are some links to look at:

Netgear, don't need it if over 250Mbps, https://kb.netgear.com/25617/How-does-Dynamic-QoS-help-improve-my-Nighthawk-router-s-Internet-traffic-management

Reddir from 6 years ago when 10Mps was a good speed, https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/33hy3m/do_i_really_need_qos_for_my_home_network/ (need to expand the discussion to see all of it)

Essentially it is all about CONGESTION. That is CAN you ever use at the same time the full Internet Speed? This means the router is so busy it moving packets in and out that it can't handle all of them and send them out or receive them. Some device has to wait. As I said, NetFlix needs 10Mbps (or less depending on TV definition, HD or SD), sse https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/utilities/how-to-decide-what-internet-speed-you-need/ for approximate needs for specific tasks.

Bottom line, again simplified, if you are not overloading the Router with output or waiting for input, you probably don't need QoS, or at the very least, QoS doesn't do a thing for you assuming it is set correctly.

Options
Re:Archer A7 wired speed 200mbps, wireless 20mbps
2021-01-14 20:43:40

@Lbheath - thanks for this inputs, I had the same issue and in QoS, I had capped it to earlier lower speed.  When I upgraded my Internet, I had to go and put the new bandwidth, better higher.  So with QoS ON but specifying the needed bandwidth brough my speed on par with my Internet plan speed.

Lbheath wrote

So I figured out my problem, I wanted to be able to see the speeds for each device so I had QoS enabled and the default setting in there on the speed limitations was low for both upload and download.  I disabled QoS and it seems to he working fine.   I feel like a dummy, but i tried live chat with TP link and they could figure it out either.  I am just glad it is working now.  Thanks for all your help.  Now we need to help Robt383.

Options