Deco M5 not assigning IP to wired devices, previously did.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-08 03:24:35
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 Build 20200221 Res 65392

Just installed 2 pack of Deco M5 AC1300 v3.8 to replace the router on Netgear C3700 cable modem/router. Got fully configured and then turned off routing on the Netgear.

Configuration:

Modem --> Deco router port 1 (initially got IP from Netgear router on 192.168.0.x with gateway at 192.168.0.1 but goal is to replace that router with mesh)

Deco router (192.168.68.1) --> 2nd Deco mesh AP (192.168.68.103) + wifi devices (all get 192.168.68.x)

+ Deco router port 2 --> 5 port TP-Link switch port 1 for wired devices

Switch --> 1 Linux computer, 1 other monitoring device, + back link to Netgear modem 2nd port for management (Netgear management is at 192.168.100.1)

Once I turned off the Netgear routing (bridge mode) and plugged Deco's 2nd port into switch port 1, Deco took the modem IP of 173.29.x.x (formerly held by the Netgear) and wired devices, now serviced from the Deco, got addresses from the Deco with it's normal 192.168.68.x addresses, like the wireless. They showed in the Deco app and web interface. I could print to the wireless printer from wired and wireless. And I could get to the Netgear management interface at 192.168.100.1.

After a few hours later the internet dropped. So I began troubleshooting and found that no wired devices were getting addresses. I could not get to the Netgear unless I reverted the Netgear to feed the wired devices and put it back in router mode.

So for now the Netgear routing is back on, but wireless is disabled. Deco wireless works. Wired devices (including the Deco) are being served by the Netgear router again with 192.168.0.x addresses. This includes the Deco.

In the Netgear there is a LAN Setup setting toggle called "Use Gateway as DHCP Server". Don't see anything equivalent in the Deco.

Timing is suspicious, in that it worked fine until it didn't. That sounds like setting timeouts. AARP table maybe? Restarting any and all devices did not help.

At some point after getting everything working originally I added the 2nd Deco. Firmware needed updating. I did not check wired devices specifically after that so don't know if there is a relationship.

Why would it affect only wired DHCP?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 not assigning IP to wired devices, previously did.
2020-08-10 17:50:27

@LFL 

In your network layout, if you are having the Deco be the router then only that main Deco should be wired to the modem, nothing else. After the main Deco is where you can then put a switch and other Deco units.

If that is how the topology is set, disconnect the switch from the second Deco, and wire the Linux computer to the Deco to see if that gives an IP address. If the Linux computer (or any computer) does not get an IP, wire to the main Deco.

Options
2020-08-10 21:10:14

@Tony This was a case of "Don't assume everything is code or configuration-related". It turned out to be an intermittend AC socket that distupted the modem and it's embedded router (when on). It all happened while I was making the conversion to the Decos, so my mind went to the obvious bugs -- configuration, connections, code. Nope, plain old electricity. So nevermind. All is stable now. Oh, and I had pondered about AARP tables. Obviously I meant ARP tables. That's the problem when you retire. AARP takes on more meaning than ARP.  ;-)

Options
2020-08-10 22:52:44

@LFL 

Lol, made me laugh about the AARP.

Thanks for the update.

Glad everything is working.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1633

Replies: 3

Related Articles