Poor 5 GHz performance on LG V30

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-14 20:50:29
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought the AX1500 and so far, it's been pretty good. However, two of my devices, a pair of LG V30 phones, get poor speed and sometimes no Internet at all. They connect fine and show a good link speed, but the Speedtest app only shows 0.1-10 Mbps and sometimes fails. All other devices (an LG V10, MacBook Pro, and iPhone 7) show 100-200 Mbps on 5 GHz (my Internet speed is 200). They all support 802.11ac.

I thought maybe my V30 was the problem, so I tried Internet sharing on my MacBook Pro and it showed 70 Mbps (not surprising, the Ethernet adapter is only 100 Mbps). The phone should at least be that. Already tried using it close and even next to the router and in the same spots others other devices work fine. My previous router didn't have this issue. It was another make and it was an 802.11n/WiFi 4 router. 

Did I do something wrong with configuration on my router? Is there a setting I should check?

Thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Poor 5 GHz performance on LG V30
2020-06-15 16:53:52
Try specific WIFI channels and different band width.
Options
2020-06-18 03:45:31

@ArcherC8 

Thanks for the suggestion. I played around with channels and widths and had the same issue. But what worked was to connect on my phone to a guest network without security. I got great speeds then. But of course, I'm not going to do that on my regular network and not going to keep an open WiFi all the time. When I put a password on it, it failed to work properly again.

I played around with security settings and found that it is most likely however TP-Link is implementing WPA/WPA2 on this router that is causing the issue. I tried with it on auto, WPA, and WPA2. The only setting my phone likes is none. But only with this router. It works great on other routers/hotspots with WPA2 security

In truth, my router might be a dud because I'm having problems with another laptop on 2.4 GHz with a Teams call that I didn't have before on my old router. Speeds are acceptable for an N connection, but not consistent. I might try a factory reset and failing that, returning it and getting another one.

Any other ideas?

Options
2020-06-18 11:32:20
Interesting find. Have not heard of that before. Factory reset is one of the things I would try. Try switching NAT on or off. I assume you are not using any of the QoS settings nor have a VPN set up on your phone. You may want to play with the security setting if the router has some.
Options
2020-09-19 04:30:03 - last edited 2020-09-19 04:31:21

@InsertNameHere Same issue with my new AX 1500, I and my wife are using LG v30, connection was very fast with previous router. 

Options
2020-09-19 12:42:00
The original poster did not reply after my last things to try. One of them may have worked or they may have found another solution. Also be sure your firmware is up to date for your model and version.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1454

Replies: 5

Related Articles