Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway Router & TP-Link RE650 Range Extender - 5G Issue Solved!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway Router & TP-Link RE650 Range Extender - 5G Issue Solved!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-06-15 17:16:38
Model : RE650

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 1.0.6

ISP : Verizon FiOS

When recently setting up my RE650 with my Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway router, the initial set-up and wireless network connections went seamlessly. After about 3 hrs, the RE650 quit recognizing the 5G network and the 5G LED on the RE650 went dark despite the fact that the 2.4G network continued to work fine--other devices (ie, cell phones, tablets, laptops, etc. could still see the host 5G network from the dual band Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway router). I immediately updated firmware to version 1.0.6, but that didn't work. Reinstalled version 1.0.2. No luck. Went to firmware version 1.0.4, still no luck. Went back to 1.0.2, and after numerous reboots (router and range extender) and reset attempts of the range extender and reconfiguring all the network settings, passwords, etc., I finally started reading through the forum here and tinkering around a bit with my Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway Router settings (ie, broadcast SSIDs, etc.). I'm no networking genius but am tech savvy, and I discovered that it was possible to manually set my FiOS Gateway Router to specifically cover a 5G channel that wasn't overly "crowded" (I moved from a "high" band to a lower band [36 Mhz specifically from around 148 or so] from the "auto" setting that it was preprogrammed with) which allowed my RE650 to "rediscover" my 5G network for range extension and the issue, at least as of now, seems as if it has been solved--I'll repost to this if the issue hasn't been addressed adequately in the next day or so. Had this not been the case, I would have thought that the 5G antenna in the RE650 had gone bad or was defective from the beginning and would have returned it to where I purchased it from and tried another RE650. I hope this tidbit of information is helpful to other users in the future who are working with similar setups!
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3530

Replies: 0

Related Articles