'Expert' vs Consumer grade TP-Link routers

Monday
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have my XE75 Pro Deco mesh up and configured to the point where it is usable, but I am still a little disappointed in the configuration management in comparison to the AX50 that I was using prior to the Deco purchase.

Two things to consider.

One, the characterization of the AX series in comparison to the Deco line is not as obvious to the casual buyer as it could be.

I chose Deco over the Google mesh, or Eero, which are in the same basic price catagory only because of my prior general good experience with the AX50.

I was not prepared to be limited to a Andoid App for configuration, and I am still not happy about that. I would greatly prefer a full featured web management interface. The last thing I need is another app installed on my phone, and I view that as a distinct negative. So a 'real' full featured web interface would be greatly appreciated.

Two, TP-Link should consider an AX model with the tolerable design appearance of the Deco line. Part of the reason I bought the Deco was so that I could install it in the main living area of the home, instead of the basement, and moving the Deco up to the main living area has distinctly improved coverage. The current AX series is ugly. Just admit it. That 'edgy tech' look is not everyone's idea of beauty, particularly if the WiFi coverage sweet spot happens to be sitting on the end of the side board of the living room. Some of us networking nerds also happen to have some sense of design.

So there you have it. Either fix the Deco by providing real firmware, or fix the AX line by providing at least one model with a Deco style case.

Doug.

Options
2 Reply
Re:'Expert' vs Consumer grade TP-Link routers
Yesterday

Same here with the BE85, the software is very limited.

For example we should be able to change the wifi transmit power prevent AP overlapping and improve client roaming.

Another thing is that Ethernet link speed is not shown between decos, this is particularly frustrating when dealing with equipment that goes beyond 1gbps such as this one.

I don't know if the BE series is considered expert grade but regardless, for the price, it should have settings for both basic and advanced users, the entry level routers have more options!

Really hope you improve the software on these devices.

Thanks for your time

Options
Re:'Expert' vs Consumer grade TP-Link routers
6 hours ago

@greyhair 

Mesh systems, like Deco, are mostly designed around a simplistic management approach. Almost all rely on an app to manage the system. Some may offer a web UI, but like Deco, they focus on diagnostic tools and manual firmware updates. Generally, these web UIs do not offer system management options. 

Traditional routers, like our Archer Series, do not have a direct comparison to Deco because they are intended to be compared to other traditional routers and Mesh to Mesh. Ascetically, the design of traditional routers is on a more horizontal plane. The design of Deco may not work with Archer but we can certainly suggest it. 

Options