NEW INSTALL BE85: Have Some Questions

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just installed a BE85 3-pack mesh in my home

The install went beautifully.  No issues.  As soon as the first main node was connected to the router, the other two nodes immediately recognized each other.

Two Decos are connected via ethernet.  The third is wireless.  I am running in AP mode.

Three issues and a question:

1. Most all my devices connected.  

What did NOT connect were all my Nest cameras.  I have 5 total.

They should have connected as I used the same SSID name and Password that I had on my Eero units, which I upgraded from

Any reason why the Nest cameras are not connecting and how do I fix that?

Next...

2. The app created a 2.4 Ghz/5 Ghz Network.  It also created a similar 6GHz network with a _6GHz extension.

Everything is connected to the 2.4Ghz/5 Ghz simply because it uses the same SSID and password

Should I be connecting devices to the new 6GHz network?  I don't even see it listed when searching for WiFi networks in my home.

Next...

3. Devices seem to be dropping connection.  Any reason why this may be happening?

Question: Should I enable the MLO Network?  I have no idea what that does.

Thank You in adance

Options
3 Reply
Re:NEW INSTALL BE85: Have Some Questions
a week ago

@NJRonbo 

Hello,

Issue 1. I suspect the Nest cameras are affected by some feature of the wifi network of the Deco.  Perhaps the security options.

You could perhaps configure the IoT network on the Deco, with relaxed security, and connect the cameras to that network.

Issue 2. Where don't you see the 6GHz network listed when searching for WiFi networks?

If you have devices compatible with the 6GHz technology, I would certainly connect those devices to that network.

If not, you can disable that network?  Even if disabled, it will be used for the connections between Deco.

(no idea about issue 3, you do not provide much info)

Question: MLO allows compatible devices using several wifi bands simultaneously.  I suggest enabling it, unless you observe that some devices are negatively impacted.

Options
a week ago

@yves_b 

"Issue 2. Where don't you see the 6GHz network listed when searching for WiFi networks?

If you have devices compatible with the 6GHz technology, I would certainly connect those devices to that network.

If not, you can disable that network?  Even if disabled, it will be used for the connections between Deco."

The WiFi 6 Network would not show on my iPhone Pro 16 Max or my Macbook Pro

I ended up boxing the 3-pack up and in the process of returning it to Amazon.

There were so many issues with disconnects even though I turned off the roaming and even went into each client and turned off mesh (all of which are TP-LINK support recommendations.

I did come across something that made me decide I needed to return this Deco mesh system...

Countless -- and I mean countless complaints on Reddit and other message boards about network instability with many of the TP-LINK Deco mesh systems.

Google, "TP-LINK DECO DISCONNECTS" and you will be horrified with the results that you find.

For so many people to have the same mesh network instability that I am currently experiencing, tells me that this is a highly unreliable brand. And, sure, there are many positive reviews on Amazon (as well as bad ones), and generally only people who have issues with their products end up posting a bad review --- but it's still very obvious to me that this is not a reliable product.

Thank you for your help, nonetheless, @yves_b 

Options
a week ago

@NJRonbo Which MacBook Pro or Processor? 6E started with the M2 chipped MacBook Pros.

Per Apple you should create a 6 GHz SSID (and password) that matches 2.4 and 5 GHz.  Let's leave MLO out for now as you have a tri-band model with partial wireless backhaul.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 92

Replies: 3

Related Articles