Newbie: How to set up 3-pack of BE85 or BE95?

2 weeks ago
Model: Deco BE85   Deco BE95  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I should state at the top of this post that I do not yet own a BE85 or BE95 3-pack.  I am a current Eero (2n Gen 5Ghz) owner who is waiting for an Amazon price drop on a BE85 or BE95 3-pack that I am hoping will occur during October's Amazon Prime Sale, Black Friday, or Cyber Monday.  

So, that I am not asking these questions last minute when I buy this system, I thought I would ask some of the questions that come to mind based on the dozens of reviews on the TP-LINK system I have looked over.

Questions based on a Verizon Fios 1GB connection (using their router as the main connection).  I own Nest and Ring Cameras (that may operate only on 2.5GHz) as well as WiFi 6 laptops and a WiFi 7 iPhone

1. Reviews state that you need a live internet connection to set up the Deco products via the app.  Since I will be disabling my Eero network, there will be no live Internet connection other than Verizon's cell Internet, which I am assuming is the same thing, correct?

2. So, three Deco units.  Two will be hardwired (ethernet backhaul) from the router at opposite ends of the house and the third will be wireless (in the basement home theater).  When connecting the ethernet backhaul I am assuming I use the 10Ghz ports even though I only have 1Gb Internet?  I realize I am only limited by my subscribed bandwidth.

3. When setting up the Deco units through the app, will it ask me to divide my home into separate SSID based on Ghz?  (example: Home2.5Ghz, Home 5Ghz, Home 6Ghz)?  Should it be set up this way (or combined into one main SSID) and will my devices connect automatically to these frequencies based on their connection limits or do I have to manually assign after installing?

4. I realize nodes need to be placed within 50 feet of each other.  Is it okay if the two backhauled nodes are at a further distance from each other?  

5. Related to the above question, should I set up each node next to each other before the final placement, or set each up in their final placement location?

6. Regarding backhaul.  I take it there is a "bridge mode" or "AP" setting in the app that tells the two (of three) nodes they are connected?  Do I have to designate a band I want the backhaul to work on?  In some reviews, they are suggesting running it in 6GHz as it is designated for the backhaul.  How does that get designated?

7. Finally, to avoid having to reconfigure dozens of devices in my home, if I use the same SSID name and WIFI password that exists on my Eero system on my Deco system, will all my devices automatically connect?  This question is related to question #3 as if I have to divide my network into multiple SSID names it will throw all my devices off as they won't recognize the new name.

These are novice questions.  As an Eero owner, a lot of this I don't have to worry about so I want to be certain when dealing with a new manufacturer I am going to expertly be able to set these up with no hiccups.  Thank you, in advance, for the assistance. 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Newbie: How to set up 3-pack of BE85 or BE95?
2 weeks ago

@NJRonbo 

I have made every effort to address your questions:

1. Yes, you should be able to set it up using your mobile phone service; that is how I configured mine.

2. The ports are interchangeable, so you can utilize any of them.

3. You will have one SSID that combines the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, along with a second SSID for the 6 GHz band.

4. Yes.

5. Please set them up side by side initially, then move them to their final locations after configuration.

6. I believe the backhaul is configured to operate exclusively on the 6 GHz band, and it may not be possible to modify this setting.

7. As long as you disconnect the Eero, you can continue to use the same SSID and password you currently have, and devices should connect automatically.

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options
2 weeks ago

@HelpFixDecoApp 

I cannot begin to thank you enough for taking the time to thoroughly answer my questions

It looks like the swapping out of my Eeros and setting up the Deco is going to be nearly effortless

It gives me more confidence in buying the mesh system.

Thank You, Thank You!

Options
2 weeks ago

@NJRonbo 

As you intend to connect two Deco by Ethernet to the ISP router, you must run the Deco mesh with an Operation Mode = Access Point.

Indeed, when the Operation Mode = Router, one Ethernet port of the Main Deco is dedicated to the connection to Internet, no other Deco may be accessible via that port.

The default mode of the Deco is Router.

You will certainly want to switch to AP mode before connecting a satellite Deco by Ethernet to the router.

I suggest, after configuring the first (main) Deco using the app, to change the mode to AP.

After verifying that the main Deco works well in AP mode, you can then add the two satellite Deco to the mesh, and a satellite Deco can be connected to the ISP router.

Options
2 weeks ago

@NJRonbo 

Regarding backhaul.  I take it there is a "bridge mode" or "AP" setting in the app that tells the two (of three) nodes they are connected?  Do I have to designate a band I want the backhaul to work on?  In some reviews, they are suggesting running it in 6GHz as it is designated for the backhaul.  How does that get designated?

The first Deco setup (via the app) becomes the main Deco of the mesh.

The additional Deco are added (via the app) to the mesh.

Each satellite Deco will automatically create a backhaul connection with another Deco (the "best" neighbour at that time, and will choose another one if the situation changes).

That backhaul connection will automatically use all supported available channels.

You cannot control the channels used by the backhaul.

If Ethernet is available, the majority of Decos will exclusively use Ethernet for the backhaul.  Others, like the BE85, will combine Ethernet and wifi.

Options
2 weeks ago

@NJRonbo 

So, basically, if I plug ethernet into two of the three deco units, they will automatically adjust the settings and all I need to do is use the app to put them in "bridge" or "AP" mode

Thanks for the help.

Options
2 weeks ago

@yves_b 

"You will certainly want to switch to AP mode before connecting a satellite Deco by Ethernet to the router.

I suggest, after configuring the first (main) Deco using the app, to change the mode to AP.

After verifying that the main Deco works well in AP mode, you can then add the two satellite Deco to the mesh, and a satellite Deco can be connected to the ISP router."

Excellent instruction.

So, I can switch the app to AP mode after installing the first (main) Deco and before connecting the second with Internet?

I ask that, because final placement with the wired Internet will be on the opposite end of the house.  I realize for setup purposed, these should all be setup next to each other before moving to their final position.  

Options
2 weeks ago

NJRonbo wrote

@NJRonbo 

So, basically, if I plug ethernet into two of the three deco units, they will automatically adjust the settings and all I need to do is use the app to put them in "bridge" or "AP" mode

Thanks for the help.

@NJRonbo 

The whole mesh has one operation mode, router or access point.

You configure the mesh when you setup the first Deco, the main Deco.  When you add additional Decos to the mesh, they are automatically acting as satelites.  

Options
2 weeks ago

NJRonbo wrote

@yves_b 

"You will certainly want to switch to AP mode before connecting a satellite Deco by Ethernet to the router.

After verifying that the main Deco works well in AP mode, you can then add the two satellite Deco to the mesh, and a satellite Deco can be connected to the ISP router."

Excellent instruction.

So, I can switch the app to AP mode after installing the first (main) Deco and before connecting the second with Internet?

I ask that, because final placement with the wired Internet will be on the opposite end of the house.  I realize for setup purposed, these should all be setup next to each other before moving to their final position.  

@NJRonbo 

You better switch the mesh in AP mode after installing the main Deco, before powering on the satellite Decos.  That way, you can verify everything works well, before adding the satellites.

It is more convenient, when adding a satellite Deco to the mesh, to have the satellite next to the main Deco.  By doing that, you avoid any possible communication issue between the satellite and the main.  Those issues would be confusing if they occur during the setup. 

Be aware that, if you purchase a pack of Decos, the Decos could be preconfigured to work together.  In that case, when the additional Deco are started, they might automatically join the mesh.

Options