XE75 with Verizon Fios

XE75 with Verizon Fios

XE75 with Verizon Fios
XE75 with Verizon Fios
2 weeks ago
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Here's my set-up after having Verizon Fios 1g with a CR1000 router installed yesterday:

Internet > CR1000 > Main Deco (via Ethernet, all in unused basement) > 1 Deco node on Floor 1 (in Office) and 1 Deco node on Floor 2 (Bedroom), both wireless. 

Deco is in AP mode.  CR1000 still has wifi turned on ("Bridge" appears as an option in the Verizon network portal but no option to actually turn it off). Thus, as I write this I have two separate WiFI networks I can connect to - the Verizon and the Deco

Note that I have zero wires throughout my old house except 1 coax on Floor 1. It is located in my office - the room where I need the strongest Wifi.

Here's what I'd like to accomplish:

- Remove the main Deco from the basement and place it as a second device on Floor 1

- Use the Deco that's in my office as the main router and connect it to the CR1000 (put in bridge mode) or directly to the Verizon ONT via the coax in the office and a MoCA adapter

- Remove the CR1000 completely from my system

Will this work?  If so, will I then switch the Deco to Router mode (on the app it looks like I can only choose Router or AP....not router for 1 and AP for the other 2).

I hope someone smarter then me can help here! 

Options
8 Reply
Re:XE75 with Verizon Fios
2 weeks ago

@HSBoston 

You should be able to go 

VZ ONT via ethernet --> Deco Unit (Main)  + Deco Unit (Satellite)

Or 

VZ ONT via the coax in the office and a MoCA adapter  --> Deco Unit (Main)  + Deco Unit (Satellite)

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options
2 weeks ago

@HelpFixDecoApp Thank you.  If I can do that, the next question is whether the set up can be as such:

VZ ONT via MoCA --> Deco Unite (Main) (located on another floor) --> Decon Unit (Satellites) ??

Options
2 weeks ago

@HSBoston 

You would have to do 

VZ ONT via MoCA -->  (with ethernet cord) Deco Unite (Main) (located on another floor) --> Decon Unit (Satellites)

The main deco always has to be connected to the modem (in this case the ONT) via an ethernet cord

The other decos can be hooked up either via Wi-Fi or ethernet 

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options
Friday

@HelpFixDecoApp Circlinhg back to you after being on the road for a bit.  

Here's where I'm at:  I can't get ethernet to the ONT from another floor. I'm resolved to the fact that the Deco main unit will be next to the Gateway. I'll then place the two Deco satellites on other floors of the house.  I should get the full coverage I need with that set-up.  I've been using the Deco in AP mode via th Verizon router and it's not bad at all. But of course, I want to eliminate the router if I can.

So now I need to turn my attention to connecting the Deco to the ONT and need som help:

- Is it plug and play or do I need any configuration info from Verizon?

- Removing the existing ethernet from the router and putting it into any of the Deco ports is easy.  But the router also has a coax connected to it from the outside (not from the ONT). What do I do with that coax?  There's a coax connection on the ONT that's not used - do I connect to that? 

- Finally, do I need to factory reset and Deco for this new set up OR, after powering off and back on, will I simply change the Deco setting from AP to Router mode and it will know to use the existing network info I'm currently using to connect to the Deco?

Thanks for all your help and guidance!

Options
Saturday

@HSBoston 

- You can simply change the Deco setting from AP to Router mode and it will know to use the existing network info.  In Router mode, you will have additional option to configure your Internet connection (using the info provided by Verizon).

When you switch the Deco to Router mode, the main Deco starts acting as a Router, and the satellite Decos remain satellites of the main Deco.

Options
Sunday

@yves_b Really?  I don't have to remove the Verizon router?  Just change the setting on the Deco to Router?  That's surprising. 

Options
Sunday

@HSBoston I was responding to your final question.

Options
Sunday

@yves_b ah, but what about the question about the coax that is currently connected to the Router?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 221

Replies: 8

Related Articles