Mix and Match TP-Link Products to resolve deadspot

2 weeks ago
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11 Build 20240724 Rel. 38913

Problem:

Deadspots in my ~4,200 sq-ft home, specifically in the garage & literally a few inches outside the house perimeter. Main Unit is located in the Basement, 2nd Unit is located in the great room on top of the fireplace, last unit is located in the main bedroom. It's disappointing I have deadspots given the "claimed" range, the biggest surprise is having no signal in my back yard where I have a satellite dead center of the fire place, aren't these units suppose to have 360 degree antennas?

Options:

Option-1: Rearrange Satellites to different rooms to see if get better results (not sure where to place them given my network ports for hardwired backend)

Option-2: Buy an extra Deco XE75 Pro to add in the garage to extend range in house & outside

Option-3: Buy a single Deco BE95 unit, add as main router to my existing XE75 Pro mesh system, add the 3rd satellite in the garage to extend range in house & outside

Option-4: Buy a cheaper WiFi 7 Deco model (BE85, BE75, BE65 Pro, or BE63), add as main router to my existing XE75 Pro mesh system, add the 3rd satellite in the garage to extend range in house & outside

Option-5: Buy an Archer WiFi7 router, add & use as main router to my existing XE75 Pro mesh system, add the 3rd satellite in the garage to extend range in house & outside

Option-6: Abandon TP-Link, oo with another system

Requested Answer:

1. Is there a better placement of my hardwired backend satellites?

2. Will an extra unit alleviate or make a difference?

3. Will a quad band main unit be a better option than number 2?  If yes, what are the features will I be gaining or losing?  I keep seeing a lot of negative occurrences during the mix options (Option 2-4) such as losing features that both systems have in common.

4. If I chose a cheaper WiFi 7 model, would I get better results than option 2 and similar but cheaper than option 3?  What would be the recommended model & what are the pros/cons & what will I gain/lose with that model?

5. Would an Archer WiFi 7 router work seamlessly with Deco or screw up the mesh harmony?  If it behaves as a Deco, would this be a better option than above options?  Again Pros/Cons, and what will i gain/lose?

6.  Is TP-Link not a right fit for my usage and need another manufacturer to fill my needs?  What would you recommend?  

Note:  

If you are wondering why I did not consider an outdoor WiFi option, I was informed that units less than a WiFi 6E will become the new limitation for the entire mesh system.  I do not want to downgrade my entire mesh system just to support outdoor usage.  If that is not the case please let me know, I just want to extend my range beyond my house and enjoy it in my front and back yard.

File:
IMG_1429.jpegDownload
Options
1 Reply
Re:Mix and Match TP-Link Products to resolve deadspot
2 weeks ago

@LostTPUser 

I suggest testing option 2 by temporarely moving the second floor satellite into the garage.  

For the external coverage, I do not know if adding X50(s) will prevent usage of Wifi6E by the XE75.  I do not know if you actually use Wifi6E, it it has any benefit to you.  As you have an Ethernet backhaul, your wifi requirements are much lower than for a mesh with a wifi backhaul.

I assume that you would wire the outdoor Deco(s), probably via POE.

I assume there is a wall betwen the back yard and the satellite dead center of the fire place.  I suggest testing by moving the fireplace Deco in front of a window, to check if it improves the external coverage.

Only Deco devices will work seamlessly with Deco.

Options