Apple Private Relay - Parental Controls Useless

2024-09-11 12:37:09
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

Hello, I had put youtube as a blocked site on my kids profile..this morning he's watching youtube with his mac air private relay setting on.   Is there an additional setting to deco m4 that would allow me to block this.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Apple Private Relay - Parental Controls Useless
2024-09-11 15:38:50

@Ctm83 

On the IP disable Private Wi-Fi Address.  Settings > Wi-Fi > Tap on connected network name.  Then make sure this MAC address of the device is in the parental controls. 

Options
2024-09-11 15:41:48

@Carl thanks, but they'll just change the parameter again on the phone.  I need to know what to do in the deco product, not the iPhone.

Options
2024-09-11 16:27:05

@Ctm83 

Most parental controls are MAC-based.  Really, they have to be, as it's the chief way a device is found in a network.  You don't want to base it off of IP address as those can change each time the device reconnects, unless you are doing reserved addresses, which are MAC-based, or assigning Static IPs, which is a very manual process not many customers do.  Right now there is nothing you can do in the Deco.  The only possible fix is a setting up a whitelist so that unknow MAC address do not get any internet access, but that is not an available feature on the Deco M4, at least not at this time.  

The best action we can suggest is contacting Apple to see if Private Wi-Fi Address can be disabled behind a parental access code or other filter that blocks it from being turned back on. 

Options
2024-09-11 16:32:28

@Carl Thanks for the prompt answer.  Does tplink have any products with working parental controls?  ie with Whitelist functionality (ideally also whitelists of websites).

Options
2024-09-11 17:38:35

@Ctm83 

Whitelists would be access-based, not website or URL, so there would be no way, right now, to block an app/URL/website through a whitelist.  We do have a few Deco products that support Whitelisting for device access. I'll attempt to get a list of these models

Another option is KidShield.  It is a new app and service provided as part of our HomeShield security suite. Here is a FAQ with more on KidSheild.  Support for KidShield is currently limited but products like the Deco X55 do currently have support.  All WiFi 7 and most products released in 2024 should eventually have support for it.  This would most likely be the best solution as it is added to your child's device and allows the parental settings to work even outside of the home network. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 217

Replies: 5

Related Articles