How to block a device from accessing the Internet (only)

3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 20240325 rel.39241(5553)

Hello.  I have a couple of devices that I want to block access to the Internet but I still want LAN access.  How do I accomplish this with this AX5400 (Archer AX73)?

BTW, I tried to block the devices in the Security->Access Control but it blocks them from accessing my NAS (in the same sub-net with the devices) for ftp upload! 

TIA.

Options
5 Reply
Re:How to block a device from accessing the Internet (only)
3 weeks ago

@firefox111 

What you need is a VLAN as that is what ir is designed to do.

Options

@ArcherC8 This is a "Home" router and the VLAN is intended for IPTV, VOIP service, etc.. Besides, this simple VLAN says, it will not inter-operate with LAG which I have set up for my NAS. Anyway, this "Access Control" of this WiFi router is NOT implemented well because the ftp server is in the same Sub-Net yet the router drops ftp request to the server! Go figure. I only want to block traffic from these two device to go out to the WAN.

Options
3 weeks ago

@firefox111 

Home routers do lack in feature/function. Some more than others.

Just a thought and I do not know if it will work or not. What happens if you assigned Parental controls to the devices? Would it block only the internet?

You could add a PFSense or OPNSense device.

Options

@ArcherC8 

I really haven't touched the Parental Controls in any router that I have deployed so I'm not familiar with that. But I'll look into it.  I don't know what PFSense or OPNsense devices are!

Edit: I think that "Parental Control" is part of HomeShield which is probably by subscription and it uses some kind of cloud service. I don't want to get involved on cloud services.

Options
3 weeks ago

@firefox111 

Understand about cloud services. I am the same way. 

Go to Advance settings to find the parental controls and use the bed time settings. Let us know what happens. 

Options