Archer AX55 loses all internet connection (Wifi AND LAN) after USB file share is accessed

Archer AX55 loses all internet connection (Wifi AND LAN) after USB file share is accessed

2024-08-26 23:21:19
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest one.

I'm on my 2nd AX55, as the support deemed an RMA was needed.

Got the 'new' AX55.updated the firmware immidiatly.

Plugged in my PNY 128GB USB 3.1 drive in, and setup the SMB share

It can be 'seen' and accessed from anywhere just fine,.

HOWEVER, once a large file (eg 300+MB .mp3) is copied from it, the router becomes unstable, to the point it will reboot itself

I work FT from  home, and really don't want to pay the ISP 'Wifi TAX' for their router.

After removing the drive, factory resetting it, it works just fine.

UNTIL I then share the storage.

I have tried different USB devices..all formattes FAT32, 1 partitian, non-encrypted too.

I really don't want to play 'phone/email tag' with the support team who is +14hours ahead of me.

Anyone here have any thoughts?

]

Much appreciated,.

I've been in a support role 29years, have A+ and NET+ and old MCP certification, so I 'think' I know what I'm doing! ;)

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer AX55 loses all internet connection (Wifi AND LAN) after USB file share is accessed
2024-08-26 23:36:23 - last edited 2024-08-26 23:46:20

@Mike_N8WWD 

Since you isolated it to the usb, I would try different usb drive format and a usb power hub. 

Options
Re:Archer AX55 loses all internet connection (Wifi AND LAN) after USB file share is accessed
2024-08-26 23:58:06

@Mike_N8WWD 

Another thought.   Are you using a power adapter with enough power?

Options
2024-08-27 00:23:30

@ArcherC8 I am using the supplied AC Adapter from the factory

Options
2024-08-27 00:24:44

@ArcherC8 That thought came to mind...but moving 120+GB off...to just reformat to different FS and back...not my favorite way to kill time. ;)

Options
2024-08-27 00:52:21

@Mike_N8WWD 

I understand.... 

Maybe you have a spare to play with to test. 

Do not discount the electrical power as another used his/her previous router's power adapter and had a like issue. I had some strange things happen when my ups battery was failing. 

Options
2024-08-27 01:11:00

@ArcherC8  I initally used a 1TB under NTFS, and that's when it started. I went 'down to' the FAT32 one to double check that potential.

As for the power....I'm not going to use another 12v adapter other than supplied....(..no 'oh..you useds an unauthorized ac adapter..warrenty? what warrenty' scenarios)

Options