Networkds in Access Point mode should have a vlan option

2024-08-26 21:50:00
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6

When you put any of TP link's routers into "Access Point Mode" there is no mechanism to put a VLAN tag onto wireless connections coming from any particular wireless network. I need a wireless access point that I can seperate out vlans. Especially for guest networks. At the moment, if you put a router into Access Point Mode, everything just gets put onto vlan0. This should be a VERY easy feature to add. It's a vlan tag. It's going to be more difficult to add the GUI elements than to add the vlan tag to incoming packets using ip tables.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Networkds in Access Point mode should have a vlan option
2024-08-28 08:53:08 - last edited 18 hours ago

@RustyWeber 

Home grade routers AP mode doesn't support multi-SSID (VLANs) setup. For that purpose you have to use a dedicated AP like TL-WA1201 or TL-WA3001 - details.

Keep in mind that to manage VLAN tagged traffic you'll need a router that supports VLANs - these are the business grade routers part of Omada solution - details.

Building an Omada mesh network in a home environment (using VLANs) can be seen in this FAQ.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Networkds in Access Point mode should have a vlan option
Yesterday
Here's the problem with this answer. This hardware is fully capable of performing this function. It seems like it should be really easy to accomplish this, at least for the guest network. However, I guess that it's not a feature many people might use on the home version.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 115

Replies: 2

Related Articles