Address Reservation & DHCP

2024-07-04 21:03:58

I just switched my old Archer with a Deco system and want to set up address reservation for some devices. I configured the DHCP server to give addresses in the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99. Everything above is on static IPs. I have one (of many) devices, that I want to be on 192.168.1.235. The device doesn't let me set a static IP, though. So I am trying to use address reservation. However, the Deco app insiste that for address reservation I use the DHCP range. I did not have that limitation with the Archer. And it doesn't make any sense, either. In the DHCP range there could be another device that already took the IP that I put in for address reservation. Am I doing something wrong?

Now, I do prefer to use address reservation instead of static IPs. But my Archer only allowed me to do 32 address reservations, far too little. Does the Deco line allow a lot more address reservations, i.e. at least 64. If so, I probably could have the DHCP cover the whole 255.255.255.0 subnet and put all devices that currently have static IPs into the address reservation table. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Address Reservation & DHCP
2024-07-05 06:24:39

@malada 

I do not know what is the limit on the number of address reservations.

To reserve addresses outside the DHCP range, I temporarily extend the range, then reduce it after the reservations are made.

The unusual verification that the reserved address is within the range is only made by the app, the Deco itself happily assigns addresses outside of the range.

Options
Re:Address Reservation & DHCP
2024-07-05 18:00:38 - last edited 2024-07-05 18:11:13

@yves_b That's a smart way to do it. Thank you!

Btw, I did also contact customer service and they told me you can do up to 200 address reservations. And the reason the devices have to be in the DHCP range is because the DHCP server gives out the addresses, including the reserved ones. Good argument but I am not sure I agree with it. Address reservation is like a static IP except you set the IP on the router rather than the device. So in my view, it belongs into the static range and not in the DHCP range. 

Options