Deco S4 gigabit ports delivering only 600 mbps on a 1 gig provisioned line

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-28 20:51:46
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 Build 20230324

I have a three unit Deco mesh unit. I have a 1gbps service via Spectrum and their cable modem. The Spectrum technician and I confirmed the ethernet out of the cable modem is 1.1 gbps. However, when I run the ethernet to the main Deco unit, the gigabit ports only provide 500-600 mbps. Wireless speeds are the same even standing next to the access point. Online chat had no insights and they have submitted a ticket to their engineers. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thank you.

Bobby Ess

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco S4 gigabit ports delivering only 600 mbps on a 1 gig provisioned line
2024-03-01 05:22:56

@BobbyEss When you test throughput through the Deco; are you using a directly connected laptop (Ethernet Cable)?

When you tested the Spectrum Mondem - were you hardwired to it?

What app did you uses to test the throughput through the modem?

Options
2024-03-01 17:21:41

@SDWAN-MAN 

When you test throughput through the Deco; are you using a directly connected laptop (Ethernet Cable)?

Yes.

When you tested the Spectrum Mondem - were you hardwired to it?

Yes. And the Spectrum technician used his test equipment and he and I both verified there is 1.1gbps coming out of the cable modem.

What app did you uses to test the throughput through the modem?

I have used Ookla, M-Lab, Spectrum's app and Google speed test. All speeds are 500mbps or less.

Options
2024-03-03 05:50:17

@BobbyEss The fact that the port is a capable of 1 Gbps does NOT mean the throughput of any network device is rated at 1Gbps.

The physical port is only the media access (in this case 1Gbps) - media access for Ethernet for SoHo (small home small office) devices is commonly 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1Gbps.

BUT throughput is another mater...

You need to get TP Link to verify what the actual WIRED/ETHERNET forwarding rate (throughput) of the unit is.

One other thing - most traffic types are forwarded in hardware and it gives you the speed your looking for - however; certain features will take the traffic out of the hardware path and cause it to be forwarded in software (CPU) and can have an impact on throughput.

Do you have any security features turned on?

Options
2024-03-03 20:25:19

SDWAN-MAN wrote

@BobbyEss The fact that the port is a capable of 1 Gbps does NOT mean the throughput of any network device is rated at 1Gbps.

The physical port is only the media access (in this case 1Gbps) - media access for Ethernet for SoHo (small home small office) devices is commonly 10Mbps, 100Mbps and 1Gbps.

BUT throughput is another mater...

You need to get TP Link to verify what the actual WIRED/ETHERNET forwarding rate (throughput) of the unit is.

One other thing - most traffic types are forwarded in hardware and it gives you the speed your looking for - however; certain features will take the traffic out of the hardware path and cause it to be forwarded in software (CPU) and can have an impact on throughput.

Do you have any security features turned on?

@SDWAN-MAN 

Security is stock, nothing out of the ordinary. After several rounds of what is laughingly called tech support, sending multiple screenshots and answering the same questions over and over, these units are going back to Amazon. They can't get me to a backline engineer and scripted support is no support at all.

Thanks for your reply.

Options
2024-03-03 23:06:12

@BobbyEss I feel you brother - as soon as my Deco X75's arrived I setup the base unit and did a hardwired throughput test.

If it didn't pass muster I was ready to ship them back.

i have to say that I am quite pleased.

Options
2024-04-12 16:26:28

@BobbyEss same exact problem and experience with BS tech support. Did you get another TP-Link model or go with another brand?

Options
2024-04-12 19:32:31

@jasrich I'm living with it until after baseball season at which point I'll change internet providers and use one of their all home wifi solutions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 542

Replies: 7

Related Articles