DNS Conflict / Dropped WIFI

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-10 12:47:15 - last edited 2024-02-10 12:48:25
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Archer ax11000us

Hardware Ver 1.26

This has been really bugging me so I have to ask…..

I have a Archer AX11000US Ver:1.26 that was causing me some serious issues with the WIFI dropping randomly. It could go for 5 min or 24 hrs but it will lose wifi and the only way to get it back was a reboot. I have the Archer AX11000 set up as an AP to the main Fios Router. After days of trial and error it seems we have fixed the issue but I have my reservations on the solution.

The solution / fix for this was to put the Archer AX11000 back into router mode and change the DNS to Google DNS and then switch back to AP mode. This for the time being seems to have worked but has got me thinking.

1. Even though I changed to googles DNS, the Archer AX11000 is in AP mode to the Fios router. Why would there be a DNS conflict?
  2. Which leads me to question….am I using the Google DNS from the  Archer AX11000 (which is in AP mode) or Fios DNS?
  3. Last but not least…is this a hardware issue or software issue? Should I be concerned?

My better judgment is telling me I am using the Fios DNS but the whole funky way of doing it has got me concerned. If the Archer AX11000 is in AP mode why is there an DNS conflict??? I have even tried doing this manually by re-assigning the ip on the AX11000 and disabling the DHCP but it did not work unless the DNS was changed to Googles.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Options
5 Reply
Re:DNS Conflict / Dropped WIFI
2024-02-10 13:57:08

@Pizzaman69 

An interesting thoughts you have. When the router is in AP mode it should use your main router DNSs.

Did you disable the AX11000 DHCP server while it's in AP mode ? If not, that's the only way to assign its wireless clients a different DNSs:

0ac3e914b6df4670929f6ddded3586f3

On the other hand though, there are settings that are still active, even when the router is in AP mode - details.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-10 15:23:09

@terziyski 

My thoughts exactly!

The TP router should be using the Fios Router (Main router) if the TP router is in AP mode. So why was there a DNS conflict that caused the wifi to drop?

Why did I have to change the TP router AP mode back to router mode to access the DNS settings and the DHCP settings in order change the DNS to Googles DNS then only have to switch the mode back to AP after doing so?

Whats even better is I first set the TP router manually as a AP router by disabling the DCHP and configuring the IP but that's when the TP router started dropping the wifi.

I was like, ok that's weird and i begin to dig deeper into the settings with no luck so i gave up and just selected the TP routers preset to AP mode  That did not work also. The only way to stop the wifi drop was to change the DNS in router mode first, then change back to AP mode. Makes no sense to me and has lead me to my original questions.

Options
2024-02-11 21:06:15

@Pizzaman69 

While this phenomenon can't be explained, in time you'll see if the DNS setting you've made in router mode can improve the Wi-Fi drops.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-02-12 19:48:58

@Pizzaman69 

That does not answer any questions. But never the less which is concerning this snafo is a security issue and or privacy issue? This is why Im asking those questions.

Thx

Options
2024-02-12 22:34:41

@Pizzaman69 

Since I can't answer your question, you could contact your local tech support if you want to get an answer for your concerns.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 450

Replies: 5

Related Articles