After firmware update and reset, 2 devices can only connect to guest networks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-12 17:44:56
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20230829 rel.37304(5553)

Was having trouble with router wifi dropping signal then reconnecting,  Did a reboot and that did not fix the issue.  Then, updated the firmware.  Did not fix it, did a reset and that did not fix it.  I have 2 devices one iOS mobile i8 PRO and another an HP laptop that never had trouble connecting to the regular 5G or 2.4GHz networks and now they will show connected but no internet connection for the regular networks but will connect to the guest networks and show internet connectivity.   

I have had 2 hour+ long support sessions to no avail.  I have asked what the difference is between these 2 networks (channel width, channels used etc) but nobody can help.  I was hoping to figure out the difference and make whatever changes necessary to see if that works but the interface does not show channel width or channel info for the guest networks so I need your help and any ideas please.

The reset was a 'reset' and not a factor reset as I did not need to connect a device directly to the router to get started again.  Maybe a full factory reset will fix this?

Options
8 Reply
Re:After firmware update and reset, 2 devices can only connect to guest networks
2023-11-13 00:14:16 - last edited 2023-11-13 00:15:58

@MMaz 

The device is primary in selecting what wifi to connect to. I would suspect either the security setting is to high or the mode is to high in your wifi settings. May want to try deleting/forget the guest network on the device to see if that helps. 

Options
Re:After firmware update and reset, 2 devices can only connect to guest networks
2023-11-13 00:18:06 - last edited 2023-11-13 02:09:04

@MMaz 

Have you tried (on those two devices) to forget the wireless SSIDs and re-connect them again ? If you haven't try that.

If the issue persists you may try these wireless settings:

370746e7537b4d0a9422c7c7b707bbc6

And repeat the procedure - forget the SSIDs on those two devices then re-connect them again.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-11-13 01:38:12

@terziyski thank you for your suggestions however I have tried all of that and it did not help.

Options
2023-11-13 13:58:25

@ArcherC8 Thank you; however, tried that multiple times and it did not work.

Options
2023-11-14 00:53:57

@MMaz 

Probably a factory reset would be the only way to check if you've made any mis-configuration on your AX73:

"Press and hold the reset button until the Power LED blinks to reset the router to its factory default settings."

You could do a configuration backup before resetting the router. Upon successful reset just do the initial basic settings and test connectivity.

If everything's OK, you could restore the configuration from your backup.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-11-15 00:58:43 - last edited 2023-11-15 01:01:21

@MMaz 

Strange issue. Most times it is one of three things. Mode is too high, security to high, or the device security does not want to change hardware/firmware although the ssid is the same as the previously. 

I assume the guest, 2.4, and 5 ssid are different. 

If it were me, a hard reset to factory is the next step. 
If that does not fix it, work with support to go back to the older firmware. 

Options
2023-11-15 03:20:37

@ArcherC8  Yes they are different SSIDs.  Tried factory reset and nothing.

I think I found the reason.  This happened after firmware update.  Maybe TKIP with WPA2 is only supported with the guest networks?

Options
2023-11-16 00:23:58 - last edited 2023-11-16 00:29:00

@MMaz 

TKIP is less secure than AES and you should be using AES. The router interface does not allow you to change? I know Asus has separate controls for that in their guest network.

Also the SSID should not be hidden per Apple. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 590

Replies: 8

Related Articles