AXE7800 rate limiting 2nd connected router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-23 17:09:04
Model: Archer AXE95  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20230804 rel.64045(5553)

Hello,

I recently replaced an aging Linksys MR9000 with this AXE7800. To preface, the previous setup was the Linksys MR9000 was downstairs connected to the inbound fiber from my ISP. A 50ft CAT7 cable ran upstairs to an even older Linksys WRT3200ACM. Life was good until the sheer amount of wifi-enabled devices started causing issues, and I figured it was time to upgrade.

Upstairs is where my office/gaming room is, so I need a hardwire up there. As for Wi-Fi devices up there, it's my work laptop and two TVs, but it's still useful to have a Wi-Fi base upstairs.

After getting the AXE7800 setup and getting everything else hooked up and setup, I ran a speed test on my computer upstairs and noticed that it was maxing out at around 96Mbps for both up and down. Which is quite a bit slower than the 1Gbps I get from my ISP. When I checked the setup, I noticed it stated that NAT1 (the line going upstairs) was set to 100Mbps Full Duplex. Both of the older routers are 1Gbps routers and I tried both, and both reported the same 100Mbps Full Duplex in the AXE7800.

With the old setup, I did not have an issue getting full speed upstairs, and the cable is rated up to 2500Mbps. I plan on taking one of the routers downstairs along with the other identical 50ft CAT7 I have, but I thought I would get the ball rolling on here to see if anyone else has run into this issue and had success.

Options
1 Reply
Re:AXE7800 rate limiting 2nd connected router
2023-10-23 20:11:06

@N2surviving,

I think you are on the right path. One thing you could do is connect a PC to the Ethernet drop upstairs and see the negotiation speeds. You could try and force the negotiation in your adapter settings to 1000 Full Duplex, either the connection will drop or you can get full bandwidth.

From there, I would test the negotiation on the router's port with a different ethernet cable and a PC to make sure that the port and cable are not culprits.

I would also perform a speed test on another port to ensure that the router is receiving the full speeds from your ISP.

It is possible that the cable is the fault, even if it worked previously. A fault in the cable may cause problems only when it is in use or traffic is being passed. You may consider running packet loss or fault tests on the cable if you know how.

If you have an extra network switch, especially a managed switch or one that has an interface, you may be able to make your troubleshooting life far far easier.

Options