Slow to load images and video on Ethernet (not WiFi)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-23 15:28:15 - last edited 2023-10-23 15:30:42
Tags: #ethernet
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.5.2 Build 20230908 Rel. 33060

While connected via ethernet directly to the Deco X20 with nothing else connected and WiFi turned off, images and video load slowly (over 20 seconds).  If I directly connect the same computer to my Verizon FiOS modem(?), I do not have the same issue.

Latest firmware installed.  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Slow to load images and video on Ethernet (not WiFi)
2023-10-23 19:21:33

@PennBackpacker,

First, Does your Verizon modem provide a wireless connection or support multiple wired devices at once?

If so, you will need to either place the Deco's in AP Mode; or place your Verizon Gateway (wi-Fi+modem combo device) into IP Passthrough or Bridge Mode so that Your Decos can be used in their default operation mode.

With your Gateway in Passthrough mode, your Verizon modem should only have your main Deco connected, with no other devices connected (All Traffic should pass through the Deco).

With your Decos in AP mode, you will lose a large deal of management features as the bulk of network activity will be managed by your Verizon Gateway. But no changes are needed on the Verizon gateway.

Options
2023-10-23 19:28:07 - last edited 2023-10-23 19:28:41

@Riley_S Thanks for your reply.

The "modem" (what I'm calling it) is the entry-point device for Verizon Fios.  It's not a router but more like a switch.  It only supports one ethernet connection and does not have WiFi.

Options
2023-10-23 21:56:06

@PennBackpacker,

Do you have a model number for the Verizon Modem, so I can ensure it does not have any routing functionality?

I would start with potentially changing the DNS set for your Deco network but it shouldn't have this extreme of an influence.

I think that you may need to clone the MAC address of your PC or previous router through this process: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2925/

I would also try another ethernet cable just in case there is a fault in it.

Options
2023-10-26 19:04:15

@Riley_S 

Do you have a model number for the Verizon Modem, so I can ensure it does not have any routing functionality?
    Nokia 211 desktop ONT

I would start with potentially changing the DNS set for your Deco network but it shouldn't have this extreme of an influence.
    Tried changing to Google's DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  No effect

I would also try another ethernet cable just in case there is a fault in it.
    I tried this several times in different ways. No effect.

I think that you may need to clone the MAC address of your PC or previous router through this process: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2925/
    I've yet to try this:  The guide instructs me to set up my old router, but I don't have it any longer - was XFinity.
    I'll actually try Verizon's provided router

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 505

Replies: 4

Tags

ethernet
Related Articles