Network speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Network speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Network speed
Network speed
2023-09-27 16:52:10
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.7 Build 20230620 Rel. 31797

I've asked this a number of times but still don't know the answer. I have three Deco units that are within 20 feet of each other. The house is one story and only 2300 sq. ft.

My Spectrum speed from the modem is well over 300mbps. Yet my wireless device speeds are like a yo-yo. I have a brand new Mac Mini with an M2 Pro chip and a new iPhone 13. Sometimes they open links quickly, other times painfully slow. The Mac is almost lineof sight to the main Deco unit and no more than 15' away.

Can somebody tell me what these numbers mean? I regularly go into settings to optimize the network; something I've never had to do with other router products, but it doesn't seem to help. My son makes fun of me for not going with the Amazon mesh system. 

Thanks for any help/advice. 

DG

66e33b58075b40a48a6b6e2b8e176ee0

Options
2 Reply
Re:Network speed
2023-09-28 22:09:31 - last edited 2023-09-28 22:09:40

@dgerety,

I believe this is the bandwidth currently passing through the network, as similar screens can be seen for each node. The overall speed test feature was removed from the app due to inconsistencies and misunderstanding of what the results meant.

Here are a few things for you to try:

Change your network's DNS server to a common service such as Google's or Cloudflares servers. Depending on your location you may have a much speedier experience with these servers.

Make sure that you have disabled private addressing for your home network. This is in your phone settings and will prevent your decos from identifying your phone between disconnects.

You may try looking in the Deco app to make sure, in the times where you see the slowdown, that the MacBook is connecting to the node you think that it is. I would also recommend trying to space your nodes out a bit more than it sounds like they currently are - if they are too close, your device's connection may bounce around between nodes or it may simply serve as a source of interference for existing connections.

Options
Re:Network speed
2023-09-28 22:25:11

@Riley_S 

Thank you, Riley. 

All good advice. I've wondered about interference between the Decos, and will spread them out. I'm not sure I understand about Private Addressing, but I'll look through the settings on my iPhone. 

I'll also check the DNS settings. I usually use Google's, but I don't know that I've set them for this router; I'm on my 4th one, starting with the Mac Airport, then Linksys, then Spectrum and now the Deco. The Spectrum was very fast, but I had too many dead spots in the house. 

Many thanks, 

David

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 353

Replies: 2

Related Articles