ax5400 multi-gigabit wi-fi 6 router is showing logs of sites i do not use when idle and telemetry?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ax5400 multi-gigabit wi-fi 6 router is showing logs of sites i do not use when idle and telemetry?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-12 00:55:34
Model: TP-Link Routers  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20230423 rel.47435(5553)

I cannot find my previous post so i will just repost this.

As you can see in the capture image i attached to this post this is my logs from my computer being completely idle and no other devices running any program, no other tabs open on phone or desktop. kaspersky is normal, that is my antivirus but reddit, ebay, yahoo? why are they there? other times i see wikipedia, netflix, live, and amazon, why is this? I have narrowed it down to tp-link because other people have had similar findings and only way they fixed it is by turning their router into a access point.

Slightly off topic i saw somewhere that tp-link is probably sending telemetry? https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/tbthjj/psa_newer_tplink_routers_send_all_your_web/ anyway to disable this?

Thank you for your time.

File:
Capture.PNGDownload
Options
1 Reply
Re:ax5400 multi-gigabit wi-fi 6 router is showing logs of sites i do not use when idle and telemetry?
2023-09-12 17:08:06

@Bob5353,

Where are these logs coming from exactly? Are these specific for Windows PC traffic?

What could our team do to potentially replicate the behavior?

It could be sourced from an ad or a placed link from within your OS, such as within the new Windows Start/News Centers.

The list of trafficked networks are all extremely default, so you may check to make sure that no browsers such as Edge have promotions on their starting pages or new tab pages.

[[EDIT: Speaking with our Product Testing Team, They agree that this may be caused by a few things. First, these are the most basic sites that are verified for Real-Time protection of your network; the network may be using DNS requests to identify the traffic - which would see this. The behavior may be mainly seen on our systems simply because it is a result of our system identifying the traffic, or as a result of how our firewall/protection protects individual packets.]]

--

That Link you posted is completely separate. Last year, there was a bug that basically sent authentication checks over and over to the Avira servers. This was unintentional and was only meant to verify the user's subscription to HomeShield. Unfortunately, the behavior showed as consistent uploading of a packet, which led to many people to believe that there was information being communicated beyond the authentication/subscription check. This behavior has been confirmed as being fixed with the requests only being sent occassionally. Our teams always value your privacy, moreso than many in fact, and are always working to keep your data private and secure.

If you are looking to protect your traffic further, your best route will be to look towards VPN connections or using a different DNS server for your traffic.

Options