Random apps installing on phone

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-10 11:37:49
Tags: #Phone Apps
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just installed router on 9/8/22. Now whenever I connect to wifi with phone, it installs apps without any action from me. They just appear. Did not happen with older Netgear router.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Random apps installing on phone
2022-09-12 19:04:24

Hi  @LyleB,

I do not believe that this would be possible as both Android and iPhone require User Input at an OS level to approve an app installation. TP-Link doesn't install applications for the user, and the user must go out of their way to download the application through the corresponding app store.

What type of phone do you have?

Is it possible that applications are being installed on another device on your account and automatically be added to your phone? This is a popular feature on both Android and Apple devices.

What applications do you suspect are being installed without your knowledge?

Options
2022-09-17 10:38:11

@Riley_S It has happened on both my and my wife's phone.Our phones are not sync'd with any other devices. I have the Google Play Store disabled. I very rarely download any apps. Both phones are Android. I don't 'suspect', I know. Ones I recall are 'Door Dash', 'Tik Tok', and 'Solitaire'. Same apps loading on both phones. Happens when I turn on wifi on my phone; something I rarely do.

Options
2022-09-17 18:12:34

@LyleB 

Well. are you BOTH using the SAME account?

My wife will get a game on her Android or iPad.... Since on the iPad she uses my account since we keep all the Apple pre-pay cards on mine. What ever she buys loads onto my iPhone and iPad. Whatever I buy loads onto her iPad. Nothing she buys on her Android phone do I get though.

If you are using Different Apple and Google ID's though this should not be happening.

Options
2022-09-19 23:01:35

@LyleB,

Are these applications that would have been installed by your cell carrier by default? Many cell carriers have deals with app developers to include their apps in their software, however I do not know if this extends to devices that are already in use.

Also, if you have a Samsung phone, these apps may be installed via the Galaxy Store automatically, confirm that no other app stores such as the Amazon Fire Store or the Galaxy Store are the source of these applications, as they would have to be updated/installed from somewhere

Do you ever recall granting another application the Android Permission to Install Applciations? The Installs would still require user interaction, but it could still be another way apps are installed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 458

Replies: 4

Tags

Phone Apps
Related Articles