Archer AX21 is not getting an IPv6 Address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-10 22:01:44
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20210521 rel.72254(5553)

I have set the router up to use DHCPv6 for IPv6, and have reset both the router and the ONT for my provider, but it is still not grabbing an IP range. Did I hear that there is a firmware issue with this?

I use google fiber, and I was able to get an ipv6 address with their provided router, and they support having third party routers.

Options
11 Reply
Re:Archer AX21 is not getting an IPv6 Address
2021-11-11 05:40:33

@blka 

Please go through this setup guide to review the IPv6 settings on the router:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1525/

If the connection still fails, please ensure you have activated the IPv6 service with your ISP and all the IPv6 parameters are correct, then verify the information as below:
1. What is your network topology, is it ISP modem--AX21?
2. Is the IPv4 connection on the AX21 good or not? What is the WAN IP address of it?

3. Who is your ISP?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-11-11 15:45:57

@Kevin_Z 

Followed the support article, for a second time I might add.

1. The topology is fiber ONT to AX21, I am getting IPv4 service just fine. This is supported by my ISP Google Fiber.

2. I am getting a WAN IPv4 address, seeing no benefit to posting it here I will refrain due to privacy.

3. Google Fiber, their website is fiber.google.com

I talked to Google Fiber support, and they said to use DHCPv6 for getting the IPv6 address.

Options
2021-11-12 03:34:31

@blka 

Understood. We have reported this issue to the support engineers, they will likely to contact you via email to troubleshoot.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-07 23:11:21

@Kevin_Z I am having the exact same issue with an Archer AX50. If you could let me know what the fix was or is I would appreciate it.

Options
2022-01-11 09:45:50

@mfrymyer 

Hello, what if you configure the DHCPv6 on the Google Fiber black router? Will you get an IPv6 address successfully? Are you using the same DHCPv6 settings as posted by @blka?

Options
2022-01-16 21:55:47

@mfrymyer They never gave me a fix

Options
2022-01-17 12:15:41

@blka 

The case is that the support engineer didn't get any response from you when you sent you an email to follow up, so please reply to the email if you are willing to discuss the issue.

Options
2022-01-18 16:26:42

@Kevin_Z 

Had a troubleshooting session with an engineer yesterday. He saved packets for offline analysis, there seems to be an issue with Archer AX21 <-> Google DHCPv6, and he said that they are working on figuring out what is going on. For now, if you set IPv6 to pass through, clients can connect through DHCPv6.

Options
2022-01-19 06:26:05

@blka 

Thank you for the update. It's glad to know there is a workaround now, please keep contact with the support engineers, I think he will provide you a solution soon.

Options
2022-01-27 14:38:18

@Kevin_Z  @blka @mfrymyer 

Hey guys I have Google fiber and the only way I've gotten ipv6 when using my TP-Link instead of the garbage equipment the gave me is by setting up a 6to4 tunnel and using the Cloudfare ipv6 DNS info rather than Google but I also have my ipv4 DNS to Cloudfare as well, speeds are much better with them.  

How I set it up is by of course going to the ipv6 section and option on.

- connection type 6to4 tunnel

- I change the LAN to SLAAC-Stateless DHCP

- next I do advanced settings under the 6to4 tunnel and change the DNS server info to Cloudfare ipv6 address for primary and secondary or you can always try Google or any ipv6 server but I've had the best service using Cloudfare, again personal preference

- once I entered the primary and secondary info it automatically pulls in the tunnel address info and connects automatically

Otherwise I've read on forum after forum that Google doesn't really give a crap about ipv6 yet and won't help us trying to set it up on anything other than their equipment.  

Good luck and feel free to message me if you need more help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1996

Replies: 11

Related Articles