Unstable internet with Archer C20 v5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-29 20:00:17
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: Archer C20(US)_V5_200915

I just bought this Archer C20 v5 wireless router to set up as a wireless router with my modem. Internet keeps dropping from all devices even though router and modem lights remain on and connected. 

First, no ISP issues. Internet connects and stable when PC is wired to modem.

Second, all internet activity has been web browsing and video streaming only. 

Scene 1: When router has wifi disabled and is wired only to my PC, internet is stable for several hours but will disconnect: 1. Eventually after several hours and/or 2.  if I attempt to wire a second device through LAN port on the router.

Scene 2: When router has wifi enabled and the PC alone is connected through ethernet, it will work possibly without interruption. BUT if other devices connect wirelessly, all wired and wireless devices will lose internet at the same time. Duration of internet connection on all devices after wireless devices join the network varies from 2 seconds to 30 minutes. 

I have dynamic IP address settings.

DHCP router settings are set to automatic.

I tried both cloning and not cloning MAC address. 

All this was attempted before I upgraded to the latest firmware but I really don't think that will resolve the issue. 

I think the issue has something to do with DNS or DHCP router settings but I don't understand how all this works. 

Please help me. I'm stupid and have to work from home. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Unstable internet with Archer C20 v5
2020-11-29 21:57:00

@MadisonMorrnts 

Update: I had upgraded the router's firmware and then tested the internet connection: I wired ethernet cable to my PC, then connected wirelessly from other devices in my home. Again the internet dropped on all devices (the ethernet wired PC and the wireless mobile phones and laptops) at the same time (this time after about 20 minutes). 

Options
2020-12-02 21:54:14

@MadisonMorrnts 

If both wired and wireless lose connection, then the issue may be the WAN port of the router, the Ethernet cable being used, or modem.

For the modem, check the system logs (assuming it is a cable modem), critical 3 or 4 errors are likely causing your random drops.

Swap the Ethernet cable with a different one, even if you are using the one that came with the router.

If the first two things were done and the issue persists I would reach out to support for a possible bad WAN port.

With respect to the DNS, you can try changing them in the Network > WAN > Advanced (bottom right) > Set DNS Server Manually

Set the following:

Primary 8.8.8.8

Secondary 8.8.4.4

Options
2021-03-01 18:36:39

@Tony you realize there are multiple reports of these routers having problems all over the internet, so it's rather arrogant of you to think that it couldn't possibly be the router itself or the firmware loaded on it.  I've been having the same problem, so it's not my modem and I doubt it's the prior posters modem either, the cables are fine, cables rarely have issues. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 901

Replies: 3

Related Articles