Intermittent loss of connectivity from AX1800 to modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-10 14:33:30 - last edited 2020-10-10 14:41:18
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200326 rel.63914(5553)

I couldn't select the actual model in the dropdown box, but it's an Archer AX1800.

Since installing this brand new yesterday, I'm seeing it lose connectivity to the modem it's connected to (Netgear CM1000v2.)  The modem still shows a solid gigabit link to the router, but the router's WAN light goes solid amber and I'm unable to hit any resources outside of the network.  I can plug into the modem and do a release/renew and the internet is still fine, the modem shows no loss of connection.

I can release/renew from the AX1800 which will generally bring the connection back after ~5 minutes, otherwise powercycling both devices works as well.  The logs don't show anything except my powercycles.  I have swapped ethernet cables multiple times and even tested the patch cables I was using.  Firmware is up-to-date, unsure what else to try at this juncture.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Intermittent loss of connectivity from AX1800 to modem
2020-10-12 16:32:44

@Nurga 

You mentioned you just installed this router. Do you happen to have your previous router? If so, if you connect that and leave it for a couple of days or as long before the AX started losing connectivity does it still happen?

Options
2020-10-19 16:50:01

@Nurga 
I have been seeing this same thing.  Modem from Spectrum stays up, led on Router says it can't connect to the internet/WAN. I've tried using the spectrum modem and haven't seen this same type of disconnect/lost packets.  I do not like the Spectrum router for wifi, so i bought this AX1800 locally and have had trouble since I purchased it.  I am V1.2. It is random,  I have had the internet company come out a few times to make sure there was not some issue after the router that might be causing the issue, assuming the cable modem was more fault tolerant in it's indication of WAN status.  I've observed packet loss to the ax1800 router via cat5e hardwire and pingPlotter. These are generally short outages (.5 seconds usually and 1-2 seconds at most), however this makes video communication and anything requiring a stable server connection unreliable, at best.

Options
2020-10-21 16:11:34

@uni 

It could possibly be related to the MTU settings?

From what I saw the recommended MTU size is 1472. Our routers have 1500 set by default (Advanced > Internet > Advanced Settings)

Another thing you can possibly try if you have a cable modem is to look at the modem logs. Any record of critical 3 or 4 errors indicates there is an issue with your service signal which gives random dropped connections.

Options
2022-01-20 23:09:55

@Nurga 

I notice it has been awhile since the original post, so I do not know if this is related, but it seems many TP-Link models are suffering the WAN disconnect issue at the router, and if this is related to the following forum, beta firmware recently made available may fix your problem.  See the following forum (ignore the AX20 in the title, that is just what kicked things off....see your model in the beta firmware list):

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/522208

Options
2022-01-26 17:52:55

@Dbam99 

Did the beta firmware fix the problem? I had an AX20 for about six months before it started dropping the wan connection to the modem. TP-Link sent an RMA and it does the same thing.

Options
2022-01-27 09:05:16

rick2000 wrote

@Dbam99 

Did the beta firmware fix the problem? I had an AX20 for about six months before it started dropping the wan connection to the modem. TP-Link sent an RMA and it does the same thing.

Hello @rick2000, I found you discussed the internet drop issue in another post, and you confirmed the internet is stable once updated to the beta firmware, so please monitor the internet connectivity for one day or two, do let me know if the issue is resolved or not. You should be able to detect the latest official firmware soon.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-27 14:08:58

@Nurga @rick2000 @Dbam99 

Thanks for the info on this thread as I've had same issue on my AX1800 and thought it was an issue with my router so I tried multiple cables from my router to my Google fiber connection yet it didn't fix the issue so over the weekend i did a complete reset.  I did however receive a firmware update about 5am this morning when my auto-update alerted of one.  Did you guys also receive one and being there is no reference to it on the main page for the ax1800, I'm assuming it was a patch to fix this disconnect but wanted to verify such or if I still need to download that beta firmware.

Here is my current info:

Firmware Version:

1.3.5 Build 20211231 rel.64080(5553)

Hardware Version:

Archer AX1800 v1.20

Thanks again for the info and hopefully this issue has been resolved for all of us.

Options
2022-01-28 06:15:52

ItsMillerTime79 wrote

@Nurga @rick2000 @Dbam99 

Thanks for the info on this thread as I've had same issue on my AX1800 and thought it was an issue with my router so I tried multiple cables from my router to my Google fiber connection yet it didn't fix the issue so over the weekend i did a complete reset.  I did however receive a firmware update about 5am this morning when my auto-update alerted of one.  Did you guys also receive one and being there is no reference to it on the main page for the ax1800, I'm assuming it was a patch to fix this disconnect but wanted to verify such or if I still need to download that beta firmware.

Here is my current info:

Firmware Version:

1.3.5 Build 20211231 rel.64080(5553)

Hardware Version:

Archer AX1800 v1.20

Thanks again for the info and hopefully this issue has been resolved for all of us.

Hello @ItsMillerTime79, if you have already detected the new official firmware, you can upgrade to that version. You are correct, the new official firmware is mainly to address the internet disconnect issue reported by some customers these days. The website may get some delays as the web admin is the last person to get the notice and he will upload it to the website once he receives the task.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-07-19 12:13:25

@Kevin_Z I'm waking up an OLD thread to report a similar problem with my AX20.

My AX20 is connected via ethernet to an AX73 on AP mode. AX73, in turn, is connected to a GPON modem.

All my devices connected to AX20 loose their internet connectivity for a few minutes (connected to WiFi, no access to Internet). No such problems on AX73.

Here are the HW and FW versions of both routers.

Archer AX20 v1.20

FW: 1.3.5 Build 20211231 rel.63820(5553)

Archer AX73 v1.0

FW: 1.2.1 Build 20220316 rel.35540(5553)

Could you suggest a way to sort this out?

--Abhishek

Options
2022-07-20 01:27:49

boombastic wrote

@Kevin_Z I'm waking up an OLD thread to report a similar problem with my AX20.

My AX20 is connected via ethernet to an AX73 on AP mode. AX73, in turn, is connected to a GPON modem.

All my devices connected to AX20 loose their internet connectivity for a few minutes (connected to WiFi, no access to Internet). No such problems on AX73.

Here are the HW and FW versions of both routers.

Archer AX20 v1.20

FW: 1.3.5 Build 20211231 rel.63820(5553)

Archer AX73 v1.0

FW: 1.2.1 Build 20220316 rel.35540(5553)

Could you suggest a way to sort this out?

--Abhishek

@boombastic Can you confirm how did you make the AX20 work on AP mode? As per this guide, is Case 1 or Case 2? I would suggest trying the method described in Case 1, then monitoring the connectivity.

If the issue persists, please pay attention to the LED status on AX20, will it turn orange when the issue happens?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4823

Replies: 10

Related Articles