AC1900 Touch P5 parental controls not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-20 18:34:03
Model: Touch P5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20161221 Rel. 53675

I have the router for over two years, works just fine. Never used parental controls all this time. Today I tried to add parental control.

I selected my own iphone from the list of connected wireless clients and set up time and black list rules. Saved everything and then tested.

Blacklisting did not work. I gave "youtube" in blacklist keywords and was able to play youtube app on my phone.(I had my mobile radio turned off in case)

Then deleted the blacklist rule and added a whilelist domain(www.microsoft.com). Saved it and tested, I was able to hit evey website. It seems both blacklist/whitelist are not working.

I also set up a rule on time. It didn't work either.

Searched forums and youtube videos about TP-Link parental control configuration but did not help..

Any help is greatly appreaciated.

Options
4 Reply
Re:AC1900 Touch P5 parental controls not working
2020-01-20 21:25:03

@DennisM 

The parental controls are working or rather should be working but not in the way you are trying to use them.  First the keywords are based on website urls, not applications so for instance blocking youtube will only block youtube on a webbrowser not the application on a phone.  Next the time time limits.  When you set time limits the green blocks are when the rules will be active.  Outside those block hours the rules will be unrestricted access.  Finally the time is based on the router's time, so if that is off so will the times that the rules are active.  That could be why when you whitelisted Microsoft.com that all sites were still accessiable. 

Options
2020-01-20 22:12:00

@Carl 

From your response, I got a better understanding of the "time" parameter. I thought "time" itself is a control param. Now I understand it is the perion within which the rules are active.

I also understand now the app can not be blocked, which is a disappointment since that is what I was trying to control. Kids are too much into Youtube and they only use the app. I guess I need to start administering the phones and tablets going forward.

I will set up rules with the new understanding and will post an update here soon.

thanks

Options
2020-01-20 23:58:26

@DennisM 

Just to let you know that theere are 3rd party partental control devices like Circle that have more robust control features that include app blocking.  I too wish our parental controls were more functional and on some of our products do, sadly product such as yours that are end of life will likely never see these changes.  But there are defianlty some 3 party devices and apps that can do what you are seeking.  

Options
2020-01-22 19:53:36
Thank you
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1271

Replies: 4

Related Articles