URL Filtering now only works in Firefox

2024-07-08 21:52:21 - last edited 2024-07-09 21:00:49
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4

I previously had URL filtering to completely block tiktok and numerous other URLs associated with TikTok. As far as I could tell, things worked fine, except on mobile devices which it never worked on.

Yesterday however I noticed hardwired PCs were able to visit tiktok. I confirmed the URL Filtering rule was the same as it was previously. The only change was an update I ran for deep packet inspection.

Oddly, I notice when trying to visit tiktok in Firefox, I receive the error I would get previously "Secure Connection Failed", unable to connect.

However in Brave, Edge, and Chrome I can access the website (And any website I try to block). Changing the block to another website like Yahoo produces the same result. Blocked in Firefox, reachable through every other browser.

I have completely cleared the cache of each browser (Cookies, Site Data, History, browser dns cache) and flushed DNS. The result is the same.

Another device on the same LAN has the same experience, blocked in Firefox, unblocked in everything else.

I even installed Google Chrome (Having never been installed on this machine previously) which was able to 'bypass' the block.

When Googling someone mentioned "URL Filtering doesn't work with HTTPS", yet somehow it did previously? At this point I am at a loss and curious what could be causing this or how it is even possible.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:URL Filtering now only works in Firefox-Solution
2024-07-09 04:10:53 - last edited 2024-07-09 21:00:49

Hi @db0330 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Is there an update to the Chromium-based browsers?

TLS 1.3, if you disable that, will the URL filter work effectively?

I think the problem originates from the browser after gathering some further information about this.

A new firmware will be coming soon regarding this browser update problem. Will release the firmware on the forum once I am informed.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-10 03:33:11 - last edited 2024-07-10 03:33:16

Hi @db0330 

Link you to this firmware:

ER605(UN) V2 2.2.6 20240621 Pre-Release Firmware (Released on July 3rd, 2024)

Should be working for you regardless the settings on the Chrome.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:URL Filtering now only works in Firefox
2024-07-09 01:14:00

Hi @db0330 

Post what you have been configured for the Tiktok. In the guide I have written previously, I have explicitly asked anyone who intends to block sites like YouTube or any big company software/app, you are supposed to look up all the related domains and block them. Simply blocking Tiktok.com would not take effect at all.

CDN vs regular domain is different.

It is no longer a matter of you upgrading/downgrading the router to test if the URL filter is broken or not.

If you have done this, it only indicates that the rules you use expire.

Note that the URL is not static. They may add/change that or the stream URL. As for the URL filter, the maintenance of the rule should be done by you if you notice that fails.

For example:

Options
2024-07-09 04:10:53 - last edited 2024-07-09 21:00:49

Hi @db0330 

Is there an update to the Chromium-based browsers?

TLS 1.3, if you disable that, will the URL filter work effectively?

I think the problem originates from the browser after gathering some further information about this.

A new firmware will be coming soon regarding this browser update problem. Will release the firmware on the forum once I am informed.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-09 12:41:00 - last edited 2024-07-09 12:42:02

Clive_A wrote

Hi @db0330 

Post what you have been configured for the Tiktok. In the guide I have written previously, I have explicitly asked anyone who intends to block sites like YouTube or any big company software/app, you are supposed to look up all the related domains and block them. Simply blocking Tiktok.com would not take effect at all.

CDN vs regular domain is different.

It is no longer a matter of you upgrading/downgrading the router to test if the URL filter is broken or not.

If you have done this, it only indicates that the rules you use expire.

Note that the URL is not static. They may add/change that or the stream URL. As for the URL filter, the maintenance of the rule should be done by you if you notice that fails.

For example:

@Clive_A 

Thanks for your reply. I have seen your posts when googling the issue and couldn't quite understand why the URL Filtering worked previously (and continues to work in just Firefox). Per your guide and numerous posts my URL Filter rule has a ton of URLs I've found to be related to TikTok (In this example). I'll post that later today. As far as the "ERR_Connect_Reset", my understanding was this showing in Firefox is the URL Filtering actually working. I only receive this error in Firefox, when visiting blocked URLs. Any other website loads without issue.

If I change the URL Filter to block another website (Yahoo, Reddit, etc.) Firefox gives me the "failure to connect" message (Which I thought should be expected). But in any Chromium browser (Chrome/Edge/Brave) I am able to visit the sites as if there is no URL Filter.

I will check the setting you mention and post my URL config, and check the TLS config in each browser. Thank you very much!

Options
2024-07-09 21:00:33 - last edited 2024-07-09 21:01:44

@Clive_A Simply because I said I would, here is my config for anyone who comes across this thread in the future. I do remember I followed your guide when I first set it up. As you mentioned it probably isn't a complete list but has served me well enough until experiencing this issue. I'll have to come up with a more complete list somehow.

I looked and there were no updates for either Brave/Edge/Chrome. I checked the flags for all TLS 1.3 settings in each browser and as mentioned above disabling the "TLS 1.3 hybridized Kyber support" flag solved the issue. As far as looking up all related domains, what tool are you using in the screenshot you provided?

Thank you very much for your help!

Options
2024-07-10 01:40:12

Hi @db0330 

db0330 wrote

@Clive_A Simply because I said I would, here is my config for anyone who comes across this thread in the future. I do remember I followed your guide when I first set it up. As you mentioned it probably isn't a complete list but has served me well enough until experiencing this issue. I'll have to come up with a more complete list somehow.

I looked and there were no updates for either Brave/Edge/Chrome. I checked the flags for all TLS 1.3 settings in each browser and as mentioned above disabling the "TLS 1.3 hybridized Kyber support" flag solved the issue. As far as looking up all related domains, what tool are you using in the screenshot you provided?

Thank you very much for your help!

My personal view and experience: the updates of the Chromium-based browsers are notorious for auto-update. It forced you to update it without your consent. You have no choice but to say "No, I don't wanna update". You don't even notice their update and it is one of the reasons I discard Chrome for not giving me the option to accept/reject. The latest update of the Chromium has also put the adblocker in a bad situation. Some news I read.

But anyway, the reason is the update that enabled the TLS 1.3 kyber support. And it caused the URL filter to stop working.

If there is a new firmware to adapt to this new change, I will post it and notify you guys.

The domains, you can look it up with the keywords. "TikTok domain list" on Google. Some sites provide the information like that. I cannot recommend a specific site that seems to be promoting.

Options
2024-07-10 03:33:11 - last edited 2024-07-10 03:33:16

Hi @db0330 

Link you to this firmware:

ER605(UN) V2 2.2.6 20240621 Pre-Release Firmware (Released on July 3rd, 2024)

Should be working for you regardless the settings on the Chrome.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 339

Replies: 6

Related Articles