Switch does not start after power restored

Friday - last edited Tuesday
Model: TL-SX3016F  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1.20

I have 2 x TP-Link Switches in a rack about to be deployed to a remote site. As part of the build, I need to test the resilience of ALL the hardware. I have been doing UPS testing. 

UPS is an APC Smart-3000 with 2 outlet groups. When running a shutdown test, all equipment that can run Network UPS Tool (NUT) shuts down gracefully, including the UPS itself when the "LOW BATTERY" watermark is reached. This is working great. 

The UPS has 2 x power outlet groups. The TP-Link SX3016F has 1 power supply in each power outlet group. There's a 75 second delay from the main outlet group starting to the second outlet group starting. 

Problem: ALL equipment starts up correctly except for the SX3016F switch (with is the core switch and brings everything together). Using a console cable, I can connect to the UPS and see what it is doing. The switch is sitting at its Boot Menu, waiting for user input as to what it should do.

entering option 3 "Start" allows the switch to start up and commence operations.

a few seconds after Start, the below message appears in the console

Limit DDR size at 3GB due to power of 2 requirement of Address decoding

Why would this be happening? Is this something related to the switch starting up with only power to 1 power supply? 

Also, the other switch starts up fine. It has 1 only power supply (model SG3428XPP-M2 v1.20). Both switches are configured & managed with an OC200 in the same rack.

The issue has appeared a few times now and it's very annoying. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Switch does not start after power restored
Friday

Hi @JoshoSAI 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

The switch can normally boot into the working state. The only issue is the DDR size error, correct?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Friday

@Clive_A Thanks for your reply. The switch has at least on 3 previous occasions not started up after power has been restored to the UPS. I have changed the UPS secondary outlet group power delayed start settings from 75 secs to 0 secs. 

My last power test showed the switch having started correctly without any human intervention required. 

Options
Monday
I have just repeated the UPS power shutdown and auto-startup test. All equipment except for the SX3016F started correctly. This switch is critical to the system. I will contact TP-Link to see if the switch needs to be RMA'd.
Options
Monday

This has now been escalated with a Senior Engineer at TP-Link for resolution. 

TP-Link Ticket TKID241030477

Options
Tuesday

Hi @JoshoSAI

JoshoSAI wrote

This has now been escalated with a Senior Engineer at TP-Link for resolution. 

TP-Link Ticket TKID241030477

Last weekend which is overtime work hours for us, I submitted it and the test team was on to reproduce the issue.

I saw the discussion in the group message as you submitted a new ticket. It was resubmitted to the test team.

Based on the discussion, if anyone reads this, I will post some details here.

It does not affect normal use as we have tested it with a dual-power model. The behavior is the same but it does not affect the bootup. The same message and log showed on the model.

I believe they have asked for a video for further illustration. You can record one and show the results based on the rep's instructions.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Tuesday

@Clive_A Skyler from Tech Support has asked me to test rebooting the SX3016F switch with no console cable connected. I've tried capturing video on my phone but it's shakey and poor quality, plus a screencast from my laptop.  

With a console cable connected to the SX3016F, I commanded the OC200 to reboot the switch. The switch did not start up correctly, but hung waiting for user input again.

I have just restarted the OC200, SX3016F and SG3428XPP-M2 with no console cables connected to switches. The OC200 and both switches started up correctly. I will be retesting pulling the power on the SX3016F and reconnecting it next. 

With a (USB-A to microUSB) console cable connected to a switch, the console connection shows "Input string contains illegal characters". I have seen using both PuTTY and minicom (CLI) console connections. I will attempt another video and screencast during the next round of testing.

Options
Tuesday

Tests executed with no USB-A to MicroUSB console cables connected to the switches. 

1. Restarting switches using OC200, switches powered up correctly.
  2. Pulling power leads and reconnecting to switches, again, switches started up correctly.
  3. connected USB-A to MicroUSB console cable to SX3016F. Used OC200 to restart the switch. Switch hung during start. Had to manually select "start" using console connection to bring switch back up

I would say with confidence that there are problems with switches being started/restarted with a console cable connected. These switches will be sent to a remote site that'll have limited human interaction. I hope that TP-Link can resolve this for their switches with future firmware. 

Videos sent to Skyler @ TP-Link via email

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 125

Replies: 7

Related Articles