EAP 783 Crashes when using MLO and new iPhone 16 Pro

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Tags: #Wi-Fi 7 #MLO Network #iPhone 16 Pro
Model: EAP783  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.10 Build 20231220 Rel. 40852

I have 4 EAP 783 controlled by a OC200, 3 are powered by a TP Link SX3206HPP v1.20, one is connected via mesh and uses a POE++ injector.  They have worked great, except I recently got my first MLO capable WiFi 7 devices in 2 new iPhone 16 Pros.

Whenever the iPhone 16 Pros connect to the EAP 783 with MLO enabled on the wireless network, it crashes.  Usually it's an immediate crash, but rarely I can get connected briefly and things work for 30-60 minutes, then another EAP crash. I'm thinking there may be some incompatibility or firmware bug and am hoping to find assistance or beta firmware.  

I was also suspicous of MLO just using more power and it being an issue, but the SX3206HPP can provide 60W per port and upto 200W total.  The switch reports 141W unused free power.  So I'm at a loss outside of a bad interaction with the new iPhone's WiFi 7 MLO support and a firmware bug.

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP 783 Crashes when using MLO and new iPhone 16 Pro
3 weeks ago

So, further testing shows that this only happens if I have 2.4ghz enabled on the SSID that I enable MLO on.  The EAP783 is supposed to support MLO for 2.4ghz + 5ghz + 6ghz, but it seems I crash if I include 2.4ghz but am functional with only 5ghz and 6ghz (though needs longer term testing, but stable for at least a few hours now).

I would really like 2.4ghz included in my MLO SSID as there are some corners of the home and areas outside where 5ghz and 6ghz don't reach well and I'd rather not rely on the iPhone to switch SSIDs as it's unlikely to switch back to the MLO SSID later.  Definitely better if MLO includes all three and negotiation of which channels to use based on strength works properly.

Options
Re:EAP 783 Crashes when using MLO and new iPhone 16 Pro
3 weeks ago

Hi  @jmccaskey 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!
To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID240957496, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!
Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.
Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 202

Replies: 2

Tags

Wi-Fi 7 MLO Network
iPhone 16 Pro
Related Articles