Windows 11 laptops and all mobiles constantly favor far away EAP-610 AP over nearby EAP-230 Wall AP

Windows 11 laptops and all mobiles constantly favor far away EAP-610 AP over nearby EAP-230 Wall AP

2024-05-20 14:05:36
Model: EAP230-Wall   OC200   EAP610  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.26.3 Build 20230906 Rel. 36269

Hi All,

I have setup my home office in the following topology. The entire house is wired with a Cat 6 cable.

WAN -> ISP-Provided Router -> TL-SG1005P PoE Switch -> 1 EAP-610 (Living Room) and 2 EAP-230 Wall APs (Work Room, Bedroom)

The challenge I'm facing is that a couple of office laptops running Windows 11 constantly favour the EAP-610, despite being right next to the EAP-230 situated in the same room.

I have tried locking these laptops to a particular AP in the configuration, but this does not seem to be helping.

I am not sure if this is due to the fact that the EAP-610 is WiFi6 and the other two are WiFi5, and these devices are favoring the WiFi6 AP.

Any pointers towards a solution would be greatly helpful?

Thank you in advance.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Windows 11 laptops and all mobiles constantly favor far away EAP-610 AP over nearby EAP-230 Wall AP
2024-05-21 02:05:11

balajisivaraman wrote

Hi All,

I have setup my home office in the following topology. The entire house is wired with a Cat 6 cable.

WAN -> ISP-Provided Router -> TL-SG1005P PoE Switch -> 1 EAP-610 (Living Room) and 2 EAP-230 Wall APs (Work Room, Bedroom)

The challenge I'm facing is that a couple of office laptops running Windows 11 constantly favour the EAP-610, despite being right next to the EAP-230 situated in the same room.

I have tried locking these laptops to a particular AP in the configuration, but this does not seem to be helping.

I am not sure if this is due to the fact that the EAP-610 is WiFi6 and the other two are WiFi5, and these devices are favoring the WiFi6 AP.

Any pointers towards a solution would be greatly helpful?

Thank you in advance.

Hello @balajisivaraman 

Since the performance of EAP610 is much better than the EAP230-Wall, your laptops might choose the stronger signal by itself. We can test and make your laptops to connect different EAP to check further. Please try to create two separate SSIDs for your EAP610 and EAP230.

If you are using the controller, please go to client list and check the statistic page to find the signal strength. Please check the signal strength when your laptop is connecting to EAP610 and EAP230. Meanwhile, please also run the speed test and check the link speed on your laptop. You can share some results with us here.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options