EAP 650/655 Wall dropping IP addresses of 2.4Ghz clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-04 13:06:29 - last edited 2023-08-04 13:09:49
Model: EAP650-Wall   EAP655-Wall  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Afternoon,

I'm experiencing issues with my 650/655 Wall units whereby where despite having MAC assigned IP addresses, a handful of unrelated devices using 2.4Ghz will seemingly drop their IP addresses but remained connected.

ER650 2.1.2 Build 20230221 Rel.41247

EAP 650-WALL 1.0.3 Build 20230407 Rel. 6521

EAP 655-WALL 1.0.0 Build 20230330 Rel. 14305

Omada software controller 

Forcing the devices to reconnect does not renew the IP.

Only making changes to the radio settings i.e changing rail channel etc will allow the devices to renew IP.

Options
10 Reply
Re:EAP 650/655 Wall dropping IP addresses of 2.4Ghz clients
2023-08-07 06:36:02

Hi @dazmatic 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Do you have an Android phone to scan your WIFI environment? I cannot rule out the possibility that your bad WIFI environment is causing this trouble.

2.4GHz is too crowded now. 5GHz is getting crowded. That's why now we have 6GHz band available.

And, have you monitored your device's signal strength? Is your device have a very good signal? Since the EAP is placed inside the wall, you probably get a bad signal reception. IoT stuff are also very sensitive to the signal because of the poor physical design or wireless chipset. They use 2.4GHz mostly for cost-saving purposes.

You can use your phone/laptop and place them in the same place where one of the IoT has the worst signal reception. Keep it stationary, use 2.4GHz and ping 8.8.8.8 -t and monitor if there is any drop.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-08 21:34:13 - last edited 2023-08-08 21:35:03

@Clive_A 

WiFi environment is fine as is signal strength and I honestly don't see how that will have any impact on IP addresses being lost and then not being handed back out.

Bearing in mind, these are DHCP assigned addresses, so if reconnecting the device doesn't reassign an address, but resetting the WiFi AP itself does, that points to it being an issue with the access points.

And it's only been an issue since adopting TP link router and access points - never faced this issue when previously using Asus hardware.

It's usually similar devices and all at the same time.

Options
2023-08-09 02:47:26

Hi @dazmatic 

But what you said in the OP was that you gotta modify the channel and that'll recover the connection. So now it turns out to be "reset" as a remedy now?

If you don't want to proceed with my suggestions and think it's a hardware issue with the EAP, you can contact support for troubleshooting and replacement.

I'd like to help but seems there's nothing I can do for you at this moment.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-09 05:51:37

@Clive_A 

I meant reset as in resetting the radios by doing something like a channel change which causes the radios to restart.

I don't get bad signal either, the devices are in a wall but it's high up above door height in the center of a small timber framed property - signal is pretty good.

Nonetheless, It's not a connectivity issue, it's not WiFi issue or poor signal or crowding of the device. Your specifications state it can handle up to 100 devices and I have 27 wireless devices across the 2 access points so it's not too many devices either.

The issue is that certain devices on the 2.4Ghz band usually on the same SSID will drop their IP addresses at the same time but stay connected to WiFi.

Turning them off and on will connect them to WiFi but still won't get an ip address. Likewise disconnecting them from the controller, they will reconnect but won't get an IP address.

It's as though the IP addresses aren't being renewed correctly or the EAPs aren't passing IP address assignment through to the devices.

Options
2023-08-09 06:07:19

Hi @dazmatic 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Do you experience any issues with using these devices? Or do they work but missing IP addresses make you concerned about their status?

(I mean the client status of the controller is not a real-time update, it's periodic. There may be a lag but devices can still work)

So now we are trying to pinpoint who's causing the trouble. You have the Omada router. But I still hold the opinion that this could be a wireless issue.

Since you said this, let's try and do this:

The issue is that certain devices on the 2.4Ghz band usually on the same SSID will drop their IP addresses at the same time but stay connected to WiFi.

Turning them off and on will connect them to WiFi but still won't get an ip address. Likewise disconnecting them from the controller, they will reconnect but won't get an IP address.

It's as though the IP addresses aren't being renewed correctly or the EAPs aren't passing IP address assignment through to the devices.

Can you try rebooting the router alone? If you reboot the router and your devices can recover with IP addresses, then it could be a problem with the router. You probably need to refresh the page as well.

If you reboot the router and it does not change, you gotta reboot the EAP and make them connect again, then I still assume that's the wireless issue and especially with 2.4GHz interference and signal. Can you provide some screenshots of the signal level when it's connected? And 2.4GHz channel status? Like this, you see it when you click the EAP.

Options
2023-08-11 08:08:45

@Clive_A 

The devices stop working entirely - there's no IP address. Forcing them to reconnect means they'll associate with the AP but won't get an IP.

Rebooting the router does not help, only changing settings on the AP that ultimately force the radios to reset in the AP so either changing channel or rebooting the AP.

Only then will the devices reconnect and actually be assigned an IP address.

Looking at the logs however, I noticed that there's an issue with the AP and devices that are using WPA authentication

As suggested in another threat, I have increased the DTIM period to 3 for 2.4Ghz and everything came back online, however I suspect it was as a result of the changes to the AP radio settings.

I doubt it's fixed anything and believe this will happen again.

Options
2023-09-06 08:08:08 - last edited 2023-09-06 08:08:53

I was correct. Changing the DTIM period to 3 did not solve the problem.

So @Clive_A, what are the next steps? 

This is clearly not a device issue but more of an access point issue.

Options
2023-09-07 01:38:26 - last edited 2023-09-07 01:40:49

Hi @dazmatic

I don't or any of tech support from us would recommend you change settings like this. There is nothing to do with it. Modifying that would only make things worse.

I have iterated this could be a 2.4GHz issue. If you wanna follow my lead and troubleshoot it with my guidance, then follow it and provide information, and I'll see if it can be escalated for further diagnostics.

I still don't think it is a hardware issue if you are able to connect other devices like phones and laptops to its 2.4GHz and test it. You never answered my questions with a result of a test run and didn't believe what I said.

If you will, use "wlanconfig ath10 list" and "cliclientd wltool sta" in SSH to show the WIFI interface, and see if your IoT stuff is actually connected to the WIFI by cross-comparing the MAC address. I hope to see your screenshot of the results of the SSH print and the MAC address's last 6 digits (you can mosaic partially). And your client list of MAC addresses of the IoT(mosaic and show last 6).

In the beta test, there is nothing mentioning fixing any bug related to IP loss or packet drop. If you wanna cooperate, I'd like to help.

Options
2023-09-07 02:38:25

Hi @dazmatic

In addition to my previous reply, https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/617356?replyId=1242614 You might try this as well.

Options
2023-10-28 11:14:38

Just wanted to confirm - setting the DTIM Period back to 3 over a period of a few months has meant that the issue of devices dropping IP addresses and WPA authentication time outs has stopped.

Options