Fluke Wand & TL-SG1024

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Fluke Wand & TL-SG1024

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Fluke Wand & TL-SG1024
Fluke Wand & TL-SG1024
2023-06-13 17:11:36
Model: TL-SG1024DE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So... curiosity for the day. We recently installed some TL-SG1024 switches that replaced older versions. Everything works as intended except I experienced something I've never had happen. Since this is a first I wanted to ask if I'm missing something. I did a quick search which yielded no results.

We needed to trace a cable today in one of the offices. We used a Network Fluke and Wand. After many failed attempts of locating the cable I started a process of elimination. All failed to be fruitful until I attempted to retrace my own cable, which I had done twice the previous week. Since I knew where it was I tested it directly and it failed to trigger a response from the Fluke Wand.

Finally I unplugged my cable from the TL-SG1024 and the wand started chirping immediately. I then decided to use a different network tracing tool to locate the original that was having an issue. It located the cable but with intermittent / flaky results but I was able to identify the correct cable after some time. After I verified this was the correct cable I unplugged and tested. The fluke wand started chirping.

Next I plugged the cable into a completely different switch and it located it fine. I plugged the cables back into the TL-SG1024 and had dead silence. We installed 2 of these units. I tried both with same results. Unable to trace cables plugged into the TL-SG1024, but able to find them if unplugged or in a different set of switches

Can someone point me into the explanation as to why these routers cause an issue tracking the cables where others do not?

Thanks in advance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Fluke Wand & TL-SG1024
2023-06-14 17:12:26

@TWDesigns 

My guess woud be the TPlinks have some kind of electrical high pass filter for performance reasons that kills low frequency, ie audible tone, 60/50hz powerline etc.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-06-14 17:24:25

@d0ugmac1 Thank you for the response. I was thinking the same thing but was looking to verify what I thought could be true.

Options
2023-06-14 17:37:48

@TWDesigns 

You can add credibility to the theory, if it behaves the same way with the switch powered off.  At which point, if physically plugging/unplugging the cable into the switch socket causes the wand to not work/work, then I'd be 99.9% sure of the hypothesis :)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options