5Ghz Band Steering on EAP245 V3 with OC200 Omada controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-20 11:50:18
Tags: #EAP ACL #5Ghz
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi All,

After help with this forum on finding out how to enable Bandsteering on OC200 with EAP245 v3, i run now into the followin issue.

Although bandsteering is set to 5ghz priority, still my samsung S21 FE is connected to the 2.4Ghz band.

The only way to connect to 5Ghz is to turn off wifi on the phone and that turn it on again. Also this does not help always, as the phone reconnects to 2.4Ghz sometimes.

The other possibility i checked was to use the "reconnect" possibility in the Omada controller.

My question is; is there a way to "Force" the controller to have the phones connected to 5ghz ?

Thanks for the support

Options
1 Reply
Re:5Ghz Band Steering on EAP245 V3 with OC200 Omada controller
2023-02-20 22:55:16

@NoebiWan 

Hey

There is no way to force the device to move to the other frequency every time

I have found some mobile devices stick to the 2.4ghz when its in low usage / sorta idle as the power required is lower on 2.4 vs 5ghz which will obviously be better for battery.   They tend to ramp up / switch when you start to push the device a bit harder and more WAN traffic is required.

Sadly this is not an exact science.   The AP can only make available 5ghz, however if the device doesn't probe (ask) for a 5ghz connection the AP cant move it across.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 496

Replies: 1

Tags

Related Articles