Wrong info on retail box TL-SG108E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-11-05 16:56:39
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

On the retail box of the TL-SG108E is an indication of system requirements.
The text contains information about the required operating system: "Windows 8/7/Vista/XP,
MAC OS or Linux"
However this information is misleading as for Linux there is no utility to set up or manage
the smart switch. Only after buying and opening the box you can find information about
the configuration utility: "The utility is only supported on Windows now."
In my opinion the box should be changed to indicate clearly: "Windows only".

Of course providing a utility for Linux or a web interface would be my preferred solution.:)
Options
3 Reply
Re:Wrong info on retail box TL-SG108E
2015-11-12 09:58:46
The statement Windows 8/7/Vista/XP, MAC OS or Linux shows in the product's website means the switch can cooperate with these system; while the statement " The utility is only supported on Windows now " shows in the utility's download page means the utility supports Windows only for now. I think you have misunderstand it.
Options
For Linux the swich is not managed
2015-11-12 16:59:00

tomm wrote

The statement Windows 8/7/Vista/XP, MAC OS or Linux shows in the product's website means the switch can cooperate with these system; while the statement " The utility is only supported on Windows now " shows in the utility's download page means the utility supports Windows only for now. I think you have misunderstand it.

This managed switch lacks management functionality when used in Linux and I specially bought it for that functionality. Generally I buy equipment in a shop (brick and mortar) and there I have to rely on specifications on the box, not what is on a website. I think you have misunderstood my point.
Options
Re:Wrong info on retail box TL-SG108E
2015-12-17 05:36:51
I agree. Nowhere on the box is it mentioned that the utility is Windows only.
Luckily there is a way to use the utility on Mac OS X. See this thread: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?84357-Easy-Smart-108-fix-for-Java-application Easy Smart 108 fix for Java application.
I'm convinced this will also work on Linux.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 543

Replies: 3

Related Articles