outdoor wifi on mobile devices over 300 meters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-04-19 19:17:58
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WA5210G

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : Latest

ISP : Alliance Broadband Services

I have wa7210n and want to share the connection to people in my neighborhood.The device is on a terrace of a G+5 building.They want to use it on their cell phones.Please help me out throughput will not matter much.Any antenna recommendations welcome. Refer to the network overview here: http://prntscr.com/6vl2xj
Options
7 Reply
Re:outdoor wifi on mobile devices over 300 meters
2015-04-19 23:24:03
Don't waist your money 7210 alone handles that task
Options
2015-04-20 10:33:52

No, it is a difficult job. And there are reasons why wifi hotspots are not as popular as mobile networks.

1. Communication is bidirectional. The AP can broadcast the signal far away. However, ordinary client devices including smartphones, laptops and tablets themselves cannot transmit Wi-Fi signals more than 200. Some devices maybe better, but they generally cannot reach 200 meters. In simple words, the AP can talk loud, but the smartphone's voice is too weak to talk back to the AP.

2. 7210 is only capable for about 15~20 clients. Connecting more clients will lead to traffic jam.

ISPs in eastern Europe countries usually install outdoor access points on high buildings, such as on the top of a church. Then customers install a CPE (WISP client router mode) on the house roof to connect to the AP. They don't really broadcast wifi directly for smartphones/laptops. If you do need to provide public wifi for the neighborhood, you will need to set up a lot of APs to cover every area.

But since @mafiosa you are trying to do that, I think you can try the beta here, this beta has adopted new wireless driver and seems to have more stable performance.
Options
2015-04-20 17:43:20
@radvd what beta are you talking about?
Options
2015-04-20 17:43:58

danymarc wrote

Don't waist your money 7210 alone handles that task

explain in detail please.... @danymarc
Options
2015-04-21 09:58:55

mafiosa wrote

explain in detail please.... @danymarc

This is the Beta FW upgrade it http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?79363-TL-WA7210N_V2_150127_Beta-add-support-for-MAXtream-(TDMA)-mode
What more detail you need, point your 72 to the area you need wifi tilt up or down as need it, test it with your smartphone, it will reach if it does not, post.
Options
2015-04-24 02:07:31
@danymarc is the beta firmware compatible? It says other wireless can see but cannot connect if TDMA is activated and do I need to activate TDMA?
Options
2015-04-24 09:27:17

mafiosa wrote

@danymarc is the beta firmware compatible? It says other wireless can see but cannot connect if TDMA is activated and do I need to activate TDMA?

You are asking but not reading, on the stickys is this info http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?78930-Pharos-MAXtream-introduction
It does not apply in your case cause you need 2 devices with MaxTream enable with one device you do not enable MaxT, by default its disable
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 890

Replies: 7

Related Articles