WPA2-PSK incompatibility with WA5210G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-12-10 21:46:52
Region : Greece

Model : TL-WA5210G

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 4.4.7 Build 120821 Rel.56860n

ISP : OTEnet

Hello
i have a setup with two WA5210G working as client and access point each.
the problem is that when i use WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK on the access point (and of course the same settings on the client) the connection between them works for 5-60minutes and then is still connected but the cant communicate.
The client keeps sending data (the "sent" bytes and packets count from "status" menu, keep rising) but it receives nothing.

If i restart the access point, usually the client cant connect at all (it keeps searching channels but it cant lock and connect on any of them) and if i restart the client the same thing happens, its searching all the channels but it cant connect anywhere.
I thought that the problem was the firmware, i updated first the access point to the latest i found on TP-LINK support (4.4.7 build 120821 Rel.56860n) but i had the same result, then i updated the client with the same version and it still had the same problem.
Every time i have to factory default the access point (or load the settings from "backup and restore" option, to make them work for a few minutes again.

If i change the security settings to free, without any password it works for days, maybe weeks (i cant let this free for a long time, i have too many neighbors :p)
It seems to me, that something is wrong with security settings, i have tried some combinations (different password, different WPA version, different encryption etc)
The option to use WEP is not possible due to security is minimal, and i have important files sharing on the network.

My setup is:
Access point - Hardware Version: WA5210G v1 0816301C
Firmware Version: 4.4.7 Build 120821 Rel.56860n
Operating Mode:Access Point
Mode: 54Mbps (802.11g)
distance: 3Km
Client - Hardware Version: WA5210G v1 0816301C
Firmware Version: 4.4.7 Build 120821 Rel.56860n
Operating Mode: Client
Mode:54Mbps (802.11g)
Signal: 30-37 dB

Anybody any solution?
(the attached picture is my configuration)
File:
my WiFi.jpgDownload
Options
7 Reply
Re:WPA2-PSK incompatibility with WA5210G
2014-12-14 15:37:04
The Access point using the IP 102 is the TP-Link TL-WA801ND
The router's DHCP pool is 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.40
So there is no conflict of IP's
And i also cant use MAC filtering, because sometimes i have to connect to the access point (IP 100) with different devices, so i can't edit the list of allowed devices every time i must use something different. (phone, tablet, etc)
The WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK unfortunately is my only "fast" option.

Interesting was the TP-LINK official response:
" The recommended distance between the two devices is 2km . And we need to consider the factor of obstacle .
We can use over 2km , just like no secure , but normally it's not stable
"

I Clarified that my line of site is perfect, my signal if perfect, i even can connect the client (IP 101) directly on the router! (with much slower speed of course)
i even explained that on USA site the recommended distance is 15Km, and on the Global site also)
and their answer was AGAIN about the distance and NOT the security issues i have...

" every region has its own regulation for the output power limit. When using a lower output power, users may not be able to achieve the same performance. So this result is only for reference. So the 15km is the maximum distance , and the 2km is the recommended distance"

well, i knew that, and despite im in Greece where power output legally should be much lower than USA, i always used USA as my region, forcing the WA5210G working on maximum output.

I hope next time i can find a technician to talk with at TP-LINK, and not a secretary...

P.S. i updated to firmware 4.4.8 both the devices, but problem remains...
Options
2014-12-14 20:05:28
I have a better solution, for almost the same money i can use Ubiquiti NanoStation 2
I return the WA5210G back on warranty, and from now on, i use the NanoStation 2

Im a technician and i have installed many TP-LINK devices, especially WA5210G, i almost always had some minor problems (example, if i changed the channel to 6, it stopped working unless i hard reset) but i face this problem for the first time, and honestly im tired from this crap.
I have installed few Ubiquiti NanoStation 2, and no one has called me for a malfunction yet!
i always keep running for TP-LINK devices!
I tried the 7210 device, but it had some problems too, now i see there is a firmware update, but i cant do the same story as 5210 all over again, i don't want experiments on my work anymore!

I think im done with TP-LINK, and i will discourage every person i know from using these devices for long range wifi.

P.S. i have created a 5GHz link using WA7510N which also had some minor problems, but it works great for 2 years now
i also have created a similar link with 2 WA5210G at a distance of 8Km, and they working also perfectly for almost 2.5years!

Options
2014-12-14 21:27:04
as i said to the first post, i have tried every possible security option i can change
automatic, AES, TKIP, WPA, WPA2, no security at all!
The only think works perfectly for as long as i leave it to be, is "no security" which means... no password!
That way stays connected for days! so i think the problem must have been the crappy firmware, and not the harware.

There is no point to upload a screenshot right now, because i keep changing settings all the time, and nothing worked so far...
TKIP for example, has fewer disconnections compared using AES, so i have it working like this for 3 days, just to see the behavior of the device... ;-)
Its a trial and error process for someone with plenty of time to waste! :-(
Options
2014-12-15 00:13:08
i've seen them , but i haven't use them yet, i like that they have options ant tools that i met only on Nanostation.
The thing is that even the first versions of 7210 had problems, so im a bit skeptical right now about TP-LINK...
Maybe in the future... ;-)

RMA it is.. ;-)
Options
2014-12-15 01:56:08
The strange thing is that i built a similar network with 5210G, almost 2.5years ago, and it still working!
and i think it has the first firmware that came with it (i think it was the 4.4.5)

In another case of almost 24 stone houses scattered on a hill, i used 8 7510N working as links (clients) to the main antenna, and 8 5210G's connected on the 7510N's working as access points.
I discovered there, some minor problems about the 5210G's like i had to make each one work on a different channel, but finally it was harder to do it than i thought, because sometimes, if you change the frequency the whole device is not responding, and you have to climb to the top of the pole, to manually hard reset the damn thing!
and sometimes i had to cut the power in order to make it work again.
It was embarrassing.
maybe i try the 210 on the next job, but on the first sign of problem, i will use the RMA without a thought.

See, i usually have a deadline to deliver a WiFi, especially when it comes to hotels that don't want to pay more money to buy more expensive equipment (which is 9 out of 10) so i have to "know" what devices are the best for the money they pay, and the fact that TP-LINK made my work almost twice as long and i dont have the time to mess with RMA and waste time, i will think it twice before i use TP-LINK again on an important or a big job ;-)

Imagine for example, your 17antenna network over an area 600mX400m would be ready, and all you had to do is change the channel on the antennas to make the whole network working faster...
and if you'd do that, half of the antennas would stop responding and had to climb up there to hard reset the device!

Never again!!

Options
2014-12-15 03:41:46

fotodamaris wrote

I would use 5Ghz on the links and 2.4 Ghz to deliver wireless on Client side

This is how i build it.
The lower antenna is a WA5210G (2.4GHz) working as access point for 3 houses, and the upper is a 7510N (5GHz) working as a link to the main antenna
The picture is from a 17 antennas network.
Options
2014-12-15 16:18:13
i don't want to start flashing the AP's with other firmware (Ubnt or DD-WRT) because in case of hardware failure there's going to be a problem with warranty.
plus, the latest firmware on 7510N allows you to select on "region" not a country, but "test mode", and that way allows you to have 27Dbm! ( i think the old maximum value was up to 17Dbm!)
That firmware solved a lot of my problems! ;-)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2203

Replies: 7

Related Articles