Can one use WA5210G in WISP client mode *and* connect local clients by WiFi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-02-12 23:05:17
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA5210G

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP : PlusNet

I am using a WA5210G in client mode to connect to a WiFi hotspot. It's working fine like this with my laptop connected to it via wired ethernet.

Is there any way that the WA5210G can connect to the WiFi hotspot *and* provide local WiFi access? I suspect the answer is no but I couldn't
really completely understand the 'AP mode' and wondered if one of the sub-modes of this would do what I want.
Options
6 Reply
Re:Can one use WA5210G in WISP client mode *and* connect local clients by WiFi?
2014-02-13 15:59:36
There are sub-modes under AP mode:)

You can also try Repeater mode.

Follow this http://www.tplink.com/en/article/?faqid=348

Hotspot ))))((((( 5210_repeater_mode )))))((( laptops

Remember to disable DHCP server in Repeater mode. All laptops will obtain IP address from the root router(Hotspot).
Options
2014-02-13 17:25:40
> The answer is yes.
> Two options
> 1-disconnect your lap, add and connect a cheap 740 router, now you provide wi-fi
> 2-disconnect your lap, add a TL switch and a cheap 740 router now you provide wi-fi and 3 free lan ports

Yes, I realise that I can add a another WiFi device to provide local WiFi, my question was rather whether the WA5210G can do it at the same time as being a WISP Client.
Options
2014-02-13 17:30:57
> There are sub-modes under AP mode:)

Yes, I know, I was just trying to clarify what they do.

> You can also try Repeater mode.
> Follow this http://www.tplink.com/en/article/?faqid=348
> Hotspot ))))((((( 5210_repeater_mode )))))((( laptops

I guess that's what I want. The trouble is that it's difficult to see how this differs at all from 'Wireless Client' except that the local clients connect
by wireless.

> Remember to disable DHCP server in Repeater mode. All laptops will obtain IP address from the root router

Yes, OK, thanks.
Options
2014-02-16 04:02:47
Well,I've got it working.

I chose 'Universal Repeater' mode and it worked without too much trouble.

OK, a separate router with a hard-wired connection to the WiFi extender might be a bit faster but it's a load more hardware which isn't necessary. All I want to use this for is reading E-Mails and maybe some web browsing so incredible speed really isn't needed.
Options
2014-02-16 07:22:22
> If you realise it, then realise 5210 it's a Legacy product, buy a 7210 those do Ap Client router WISP, as you want it.

As far as I can see the only difference between the 5210 and the 7210 is that the 7210 does 11n and the 5210 only does 11g, doesn't matter
at all in the situation where I'm using it as the maximum speed is around 2Mb/s anyway. Other than that both seem to do all the same things
and (as I've said elsewhere) the 5210 does to Client WISP for me.
Options
2014-02-16 07:26:36
> Post back in a month and tell us how many reboots you done, unless you dont mine loosing connection, and rebooting at least once a day, that comes with UR mode.

Reboots of what? This is on a boat which moves around very frequently so 'once a day' would be amazingly *good*! :-)

In practice it seemed to me that Universal Repeater mode did suffer from a few more 'waits' than ordinary Wisp Client mode but it never lost connection such that it needed
a reboot, there was just the occasional pause for a few seconds. The connection always continued OK after the wait.

Given that without the 5210 the connection simply didn't work I'm very happy! :-)
Options