Omada Backup Controller

Omada Backup Controller

Omada Backup Controller
Omada Backup Controller
Sunday - last edited Monday

Dear TP-Link Support Team,

I am writing to request the addition of a crucial feature to the TP-Link Omada Software Defined Networking (SDN) ecosystem—High Availability (HA) and Controller Failover support for the Omada hardware controllers, particularly the OC200 and OC300 models.

As more businesses and organizations are adopting Omada SDN for network management, the need for uninterrupted network operation has become increasingly critical. Currently, Omada controllers (OC200/OC300) do not natively support automatic failover or high availability, and this presents a risk in environments where network downtime could lead to significant operational disruptions.

Feature Request Overview:

I would like to propose the implementation of a high availability mode where two or more Omada controllers can be linked together in a primary-secondary configuration. This would enable the secondary controller to automatically take over the management of the network in the event of a failure or outage of the primary controller.

Key Benefits of High Availability and Controller Failover:

1. Minimized Downtime: By enabling automatic controller failover, network downtime due to controller failures can be significantly reduced or eliminated. The secondary controller would seamlessly take over network management without requiring manual intervention.

2. Improved Network Reliability: Having a backup controller on standby would increase network resilience, which is essential in business-critical environments like offices, campuses, hotels, and other enterprise applications.

3. Simplified Backup Process: If a high availability feature were implemented, users would not have to rely on manual backup and restoration processes. The backup controller could continuously sync with the primary one, ensuring that it always has the latest network configurations.

4. Scalability for Large Networks: In larger networks, where multiple access points, switches, and gateways are deployed, having a controller failover mechanism would provide peace of mind, knowing that the network will continue to function even if one controller fails.

Suggested Features for Implementation:

• Primary-Secondary Controller Pairing: Enable a simple configuration process to pair two or more Omada controllers in an active-passive or active-active setup.

• Automatic Failover: When the primary controller goes offline or becomes unreachable, the secondary controller should automatically take over all management functions, ensuring seamless continuity.

• Real-Time Syncing: Ensure that the backup controller continuously syncs with the primary controller so that it always holds up-to-date configuration data and device states.

• GUI and Alerts: Provide an intuitive graphical interface to configure and monitor HA, along with real-time alerts and logs for failover events.

• IP-based Failover: Support for DNS or IP-based failover, where devices can automatically detect and switch to the backup controller if the primary is unavailable.

The implementation of this feature would align TP-Link’s Omada SDN solution with the needs of enterprise environments that require more robust network management capabilities. Additionally, it would enhance the Omada SDN platform’s competitiveness with other enterprise networking solutions that already offer high availability and controller redundancy features.

Thank you for considering this request. I believe this feature would greatly benefit the Omada community and further establish TP-Link as a leader in providing reliable, scalable, and cost-effective network management solutions. I look forward to your feedback and hope to see this functionality added in future firmware updates.

Kind regards,

Artbellson Mamuri

Options
1 Reply
Re:Omada Backup Controller
Yesterday

@artbellson 

Hello, thank you for posting on the TP-Link community, and we certainly appreciate all your feedback and feature requests here. While we don't have any specific details that I can share around if the controller failover feature can come to all the controllers, or when it might, I'll make sure to log this feature request and pass it along to the team.
Feel free to let us know of any other feature requests you may have, we’d be happy to send them up for you.

Options