How to allow 2 vlans to share the same subnet?

a week ago - last edited a week ago

Router - ER706W
Switch x2 - SG2210P

Controller - OC200
APs x9 - EAP650 wall mount

3 VLANS:
Default VLAN 192.168.8.1/23
Guest VLAN 88.88.88.1

For the 3rd VLAN which i intend to put as IoT VLAN, is it possible to share the same subnet as default vlan? as i wish for my IoT VLAN to use only DHCP range from 192.168.9.100 to 192.168.9.200.

If its not possible. Is there a way for both vlans to communicate with each other? 

Thankyou in advance and sorry for the grammer.

Options
4 Reply
Re:How to allow 2 vlans to share the same subnet?
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi @Evanloh2001 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

No. VLAN interface communicates by default.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
a week ago

Hi @Clive_A 

Thankyou for replying!

If VLAN interface communicates by default.

Do i still need create a trunk port on the switch?

Currently i have IoT VLAN interface at 192.168.18.1/24. Example where my printer is on 192.168.18.1

Will my computer thats on 192.168.8.1 able to send documents to the printer?

Sorry as im not very knowledgeable in this. I hope you understand. Thankyou

Options
a week ago

Hi @Evanloh2001 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Evanloh2001 wrote

Hi @Clive_A 

Thankyou for replying!

If VLAN interface communicates by default.

Do i still need create a trunk port on the switch?

Currently i have IoT VLAN interface at 192.168.18.1/24. Example where my printer is on 192.168.18.1

Will my computer thats on 192.168.8.1 able to send documents to the printer?

Sorry as im not very knowledgeable in this. I hope you understand. Thankyou

The trunk has nothing to do with the VLAN interface. Trunk is a concept in 802.1Q VLAN.

Read this:

There are docs about the VLAN and you should get yourself familiarized with them as you proceed with the config and VLAN tag.

They can communicate if they are in the same subnet. Or a different subnet(VLAN interface) by default(without ACL or any block rules) but mDNS might be needed for discovery.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
a week ago

Hi @Clive_A 

Really appreciate your quick reply!

So yes even with different interface they can communicate but may need nDNS to discover it.

Okay. I will look into the vlan document you sent as well as nDNS. 

Thankyou so much for the time!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 79

Replies: 4

Related Articles