Wifi Roaming not working

Wifi Roaming not working
Wifi Roaming not working
Yesterday
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 2.16.3 Build 20240620 Rel.8103

Hello all

I've run in to problem with one of mine AP EAP245 where second AP in basement is not providing IP addresses (dhcp)

I recently changed from mesh setup (where 2 AP where connected wirelessly) to "normal" setup where each AP is network cable connected.

AP01 is directly connected to GW ER7206 and AP02 is conected via network switch SG2008P in basement. There is network cable connecting directly GW and switch.
When I/we am/are on the ground floor I/we have interenet and IPs are delivered to every client but when I take my laptop/phone to basement (4 meters aways and 2.4 meter below - wooden walls)  I loose connection even though AP02 is few meters away from my desk.

I did full reset on both AP and re-added them. I also enabled fast roaming as per documentation. RSSI is also set to -76 on both AP (2.4 and 5Ghz)

Please advise

1x ER-7206 1x C200 2x EAP245 1x SG2008P
Options
1 Reply
Re:Wifi Roaming not working
2 hours ago

Hi  @ProSumerTester 

Did you enable the fast roaming option (Settings > Site > Services >Advanced Features > Fast Roaming)?

Here are some steps and considerations to address the problem you're facing:

1. Cable and Link Status** - Even though the AP02 is physically close, a faulty network cable or a misconfigured port on the SG2008P switch could be the issue. Use a cable tester to check the integrity of the cable connecting AP02 to the switch. - Check the port status on the switch. Some switches have LED indicators that can show the link status (e.g., solid green for a good connection, blinking for activity). If the LED is off or showing an error status, there might be a problem with the port or the cable.

2. Signal and Coverage** - The fact that you lose connection in the basement despite the close proximity of AP02 could be due to interference or a sub - optimal signal. The - 76 RSSI setting might not be sufficient in your actual environment. You could try adjusting the transmit power of AP02 to increase the signal strength. - Also, check for sources of interference in the basement. Cordless phones, microwave ovens, or other wireless devices operating in the 2.4GHz or 5GHz bands could be causing interference and affecting the Wi - Fi signal.

3. IP Address Conflict** - There might be an IP address conflict in the basement network. Check if any other device (such as a misconfigured IoT device or a statically - configured device with a duplicate IP) is causing conflicts. You can use the ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) table on the gateway or the switch to see if there are any unusual IP - MAC address mappings.

4. Firmware and Software Configuration** - Ensure that both the AP01 and AP02 have the latest firmware installed. Sometimes, firmware updates can fix bugs related to DHCP assignment and wireless connectivity. - Double - check the wireless settings such as the SSID (Service Set Identifier), security settings (e.g., WPA2/3), and channel settings. Make sure that the settings on both APs are consistent and optimized for your network. For example, if the channels of the two APs are overlapping, it could lead to interference and connection problems.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 34

Replies: 1

Related Articles