Syslog integration no longer forwarding events to Graylog

2 weeks ago
Tags: #Logs
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I began testing the beta version of the Linux controller back in July of this year, and since then, I have not received any forwarded syslog messages to my Graylog instance.  No relevant settings or configuration were changed on either the controller or my Graylog instance.  I wanted to check whether are any known issues with syslog forwarding in the beta versions of the controller.  I just updated to 5.14.32.2 and the behavior has remained the same.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Syslog integration no longer forwarding events to Graylog
2 weeks ago

Hi  @Enkidu77 

Does the controller generate logs correctly? 

If you downgrade to the official version 5.14.26.1, will the issue disappear?

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Vincent-TP in doing a little more investigation, it seems the messages are being consumed, but the format has changed.  The source and timestamp information is not properly sent as seen below.  

2024-09-30 00:00:00.000 [1727810531.979972177]

[1727810531.979972177] AP MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx MAC SRC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx IP SRC=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP DST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP proto=6 SPT=56932 DPT=10101

2024-09-30 00:00:00.000 10:36:17

[client:xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx:xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx] was disconnected from network "ProxRep" on [switch:Switch1:xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx](connected time:38h52m connected, traffic: 2839.78MB) and connected to network "Default" on [switch:Switch1:xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx].

I can work around this partially by configuring a separate Graylog input just for the Omada controller, but without more significant pipeline or pattern configuration I can't easily reformat the incoming information with the correct source and timestamp.  It seems the beta versions of the controller have switched to a different output format -- it would be helpful to understand what changes were made and why.  No configuration adjustment was required with the pre-beta version of the controller, and the same syslog input worked across all my devices and servers.  It is not ideal to have to configure a separate input or additional Graylog configuration because of this change.  

Options
2 weeks ago

@Enkidu77 

Thank you for the information.

For a comparison, would you please share an example of the logs from the old controllers?

Options
a week ago

@Vincent-TP sure, see below.  Note that before the issue began with the beta controller, the logs were separated out by whether they came from global logging or site logging (Home is the name of my homelab network).  They were also properly formatted with date and time.

2024-07-02 12:00:33.216 Omada-Home

was disconnected from network "LAN" on [osw:Switch1:xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx](connected time:42h5m connected, traffic: 673019.75MB) and connected to network "ProxRep" on [osw:Switch1:xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx].

2024-07-02 10:32:26.948 Omada

- homepage logged in to the controller from 172.18.0.7.

Options
Thursday

Hi  @Enkidu77 

From this version, we have modified the time format. It has been changed from "{year-month-day T hour:minute:second.millisecond}" to "{year-month-day (space) hour:minute:second}.

Before:

Now: 

Please modify the matching rule accordingly and see if the issue persist.

Options
Saturday
hi, may I know if the information helps?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 184

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles