Omada Cloud Essentials

Omada Cloud Essentials

Omada Cloud Essentials
Omada Cloud Essentials
a week ago

Hi, I'm contemplating moving away from the software controller to the Cloud Essentials, but before I cut over, I have a few questions as there is some functionality I don't want to lose:

1. Is it possible to switch back and forth between the on-premises software controller and the Cloud Essentials controller without disturbing the gateways, switches and APs?

2. When I looked at it, it appears Essentials limits the WiFi configuration to a single SSID, is this correct? I currently have one SSID on 2.4 GHz and another on 5 GHz - too many devices have poor WiFi implementations and mistake signal strength with throughput or just get confused by the two bands.

3. WiFi roaming continues to function identically to the on-premises controller?

4. The quick setup was really basic (I aborted just before I completed the config, so may have missed all the detail setup) - is there any other configuration that I cannot do in Essentials that I can with an on-premises controller?

5. I will lose VPN except WireGuard the detailed app level statistics? But all other stats remain?

Anything else I should be aware of before switching?

I dummy setup would be great so that we can view what we get before committing.

Thanks

Alan

Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada Cloud Essentials
a week ago

Hi  @am4c130d 

1. Is it possible to switch back and forth between the on-premises software controller and the Cloud Essentials controller without disturbing the gateways, switches and APs?

>>>No, Omada cloud Essentials doesn't have backup and restore function. And you will lose connection;

2. When I looked at it, it appears Essentials limits the WiFi configuration to a single SSID, is this correct? I currently have one SSID on 2.4 GHz and another on 5 GHz - too many devices have poor WiFi implementations and mistake signal strength with throughput or just get confused by the two bands.

>>> This is same as Omada on-premises software controller;

3. WiFi roaming continues to function identically to the on-premises controller?

>>> It supports fast roaming. But not identically. This is how the Essentials looks like:

4. The quick setup was really basic (I aborted just before I completed the config, so may have missed all the detail setup) - is there any other configuration that I cannot do in Essentials that I can with an on-premises controller?

>>>You can apply for an Essentials controller and go through the steps again. It's for free.

5. I will lose VPN except WireGuard the detailed app level statistics? But all other stats remain?

>>>Yes. all others will lose.

Anything else I should be aware of before switching?

>>> Not all SDN devices are compatible with Omada cloud Essentials. Before you switch to it, please make sure you have looked at this compatibility list:

Omada Devices Supported by Omada Cloud Essentials

Options
a week ago

@Vincent-TP Thank you for the detailed response. Is the only difference on fast roaming that the non-sticky roaming is not available - I presume it's still standard 802.11k/v?

I'll duplicate my configuration and see.

Thanks for the info.

Options
a week ago

@Vincent-TP it looks like I can provision my network nearly identically which is great. I have two things I would like confirmation/clarification on:

1. With regard to the ALG - there's no option to configure it in Essentials - so what happens to those protocols? Are they just passed transparently, blocked by the unconfigured ALG or the ALG works, but I cannot disable it for a given protocol? I have an ER7206V1.0 gateway and I need it to pass IPsec traffic initiated from the LAN to the WAN.

2. And confirming, no DHCP address reservation? Either I manually configure those IPs or they are assigned randomly from the DHCP pool?

There seems to be one extra feature? It appears that I can disable the SFP-WAN port on the ER7206?

Thanks

Alan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 129

Replies: 3

Related Articles